Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about sights >

Question about sights

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about sights

Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question about sights

Are there any downfalls to the single pin slider sights, that allow you to adjust for distance? I have found that i shoot best when i only have one pin, and in the heat of the action i get kinda excited. I have been known to use the wrong pin. Any info in appreciated. Thank you.

Zach
Old 03-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about sights

I have one now for a couple years. I've shot and huntied with multiple pin sights, target sights, pendelum sight and the present slider, as you call it.

I think it's the better of the ones I've used. As you stated, a single pin that you can't screw up with. Moving it for yardage while shooting 3D or practice is another advantage. Being able to move it while hunting for most of us eastern hardwoods shooters is not a plus. Just like having multiple pins, trying to move one for a particular hunting situation is like suicide. For most hunting I set mine for my 25 yard setting and leave it. With a bow speed around 260-265fps I've found I can shoot anything within 30 yards with a midbody hold. No guessing yardage, no holding high or low. Just aim and shoot. What could be more simple. The only other time I move it is if I'm in more dense cover where I'll set it for 20 yards.

I use the HHA OL-5000. The others, especially those with plastic just don't do mcu for this guy. I want bright, rugges and indestructible. Micro-adjust for windage doesn't hurt either

Are these the "best" there is? Not by a long shot. I just feel they are the most versatile for serving double duty.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:47 PM

I use one set pin that is good to 30 yrds for hunting. I wont shoot farther than that at an animal anyway.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:11 PM

I have the movable Impact Cosmic Ring which has only one pin that can be moved, but i hardly ever move it. Im so use to shooting one pin at a set yardage that i always forget to move it when the time comes. I havnt had any disadvantages to it though.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:20 PM

I've shot several different multiple pin sights but i've settled on a single pin. HHA OL-5000. Extremely bright, and i shoot fast enough so i dont have to adjust it until i hit roughly 30 yards. Great sight. I like it because i know i dont have to make decisions. I did that when i had a 3 pin and picked the wrong pin. No more in between pins. Just settle the pin mid body and squeeze the trigger.

slayer
Old 03-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

i shoot with one pin also i feel comfortable out to around thirty yards
Old 03-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:31 PM

I guess I've been using one for 10 years give or take. I love it and its the only thing I would use.