Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help choosing a bow... >

Help choosing a bow...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help choosing a bow...

Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 AM

Default Help choosing a bow...

After much thought I've decided to buy a bow and see if I can become proficient enough to hunt with it. My question is, can I get a decent beginner set up for around $300? If so, does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help choosing a bow...

You'll be hard pressed to find anything decent in the "new" category for that price. Maybe something used either here or in the classifieds on www.archerytalk.com. Or I'd suggest patronizing a local pro shop and see what they can help you with.

If you have no experience, though, you need to find out what draw length you should shoot and what draw weight you can handle. And look for a bow that is draw length adjustable as this may change as you learn to shoot.

Weight isn't a problem. All bows are weight adjustable, usually 10# down from the peak the are marked for. Don't go crazy with draw weight. 60# is enough for hunting anything. Even 50# will do if that's all you can handle. If you get a bow with too much draw weight then you'll be struggling with it while trying to learn to shoot. This is not a good combination. Make it easy on yourself so you can enjoy what you're doing. Brute strength is not what archery or bowhunting is about.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help choosing a bow...

You can find a nice older MQ1 that is considered to be one of the best hunting bows of all time for a couple hundred bucks. Put some new strings on it with a biscuit restand decent sight and you'll be right in your budget and have a much better bow than any begginer/entry level bow.