Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest Preference

Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rest Preference

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I love my limbdriver, and agree with Swamp...even I could set that dude up!

Full containment hasn't been an issue yet, but if I do much stalking, I think I'd prefer full containment...meaning I might have to look into rests this summer.[&:]
Definitely get full containment before you come up next summer. It allows you to focus on the critter and not your rest as you crawl around making final adjustments in position for the shot. I've got a QAD on my Hoyt but I honestly haven't found anything better than the WB's that are on my BowTech and Mathews for standing up to the beating that the brush up here gives your gear. You'll understand better when you get into your first alder tangle and come out into a salmonberry patch that puts you into a devil's club grove.[][>:][&:][:@]

Vital bow gears Kaz Away would be awesome for that.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am still a drop away fan as in Trophy Taker.....wish the hostage would last longer as I want to try one!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I am still a drop away fan as in Trophy Taker.....wish the hostage would last longer as I want to try one!
Even if the brushes lasted longer there's still theshoddy construction issue. I can't trust one.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wahoo Hunter: Im pretty sure all these votes for the LD will have to be canceled out[:@] Im pretty sure, that I read somewhere that the admiral wouldnt work with the Ld b/c there is not enough limb travel. dont quote me on this but im almost positive that i read this. If you find that it is compatible with the admiral, then by all means i support it. I love the LD and believe it is truly one of the most accurate designs on the market. You get the forgiveness of spring steel, along with the added benefit of long arrow contact with the rest, but super fast drop away for full clearance. IMO you cant beat it. There are rest that are as good yes, but i believe it is one of the best rest on the market.
Derek
Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the limb driver is one of the best,a close 2nd imo to the whammy.All of the same benefits.The whammy is just up all the time(except for when it is snapped down ,of course) and has more containment.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I might add,the whammy is about 30 bucks cheaper.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i do like the idea of the whammy being up all the time. The LD being spring steel and all, would probably be more vulnerable to getting torn up adn what not if it were up all the time. Spring steel is definately not the most durable material lol!
Derek
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree but spring steel is forgiving,that is what I like about the whammy,it acts like a soft spring steel rest,without the flimsy spring steel.[:-] it is a soft rest and remains soft all the time.

I would like to try it with a lizard tongue just 1 time for spots though. The Golden key tongue I have here will fit it.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 AM
bigcountry

TFOx, do you usually set up more for target/3d or hunting. From the sound of it, sounds like target. I hunt way more than I ever 3D or target, so my setups are for that.

You said shoddy construction. I thought this new hostage pro was supposed to be top notch. I haven't been buying much new compound gear this year so kinda out of the loop. Is the new hostage worse than the old? What part is shoddy? I was considering a pro.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys,

I have an arrow rest disorder. There are not too many rests on the market that I would honestly put on my hunting bow. Most either are not built well enough to stand up to season's of beating, don't offer containment, or are too noisy.

I have been using one rest for the past 3 years on my bow. An APA Twister Safari rest. Full containment, doesn't contact anything and is really quite simple in design. I have not had one single issue with this rest once its been mounted. I still can't figure out why this rest never caught on with the hunting crowd. Most likely it was due to a lack of marketing.

That being said, I have an itch to try something new this winter. I'll wait to see what is out from the ATA show first though.

Other than the APA rest, there are a couple that I wouldn't have an issue putting on my bow for a season. Trophy Takers are tough to beat. Very simple and very tough. But, no containment unless you get that huge containment version.

The rest that really appeals to me is the QAD. It has everything I look for in a rest. However, I'm still hesitant to try one because of all the plastic on it.

Quick Reply: Rest Preference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.