Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Indiana bow shops >

Indiana bow shops

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Indiana bow shops

Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Spike

Default Indiana bow shops

[:@] I have been to 4 seperate bow shops in central Indiana to have a problem corrected with my old Browning bow. The problem is that the threaded insert that holds the arrow containment device is mounted into the side of the riser, but it was set crooked. It is not square to the riser and it causes my Whisker Biscuit to be farther forward on the right side than the left side. It is hard to see it unless you put an arrow in it and pull the string like 3 inches. At that 3 inch pull the lines that wrap around the arrow get closer to the Whisker Biscuit and shows without a doubt that the device it not square. It causes a very inconsistant shot and probably puts more wear on fletchings than normal. Now back to the shops.
1.) Around the Korner Archery in Clayton. I had the guy there install the new string, leaches, and peep for me. He also installed the Whisker Biscuit. (Not the threaded insert that was not square though, it was already there. Came like that when I bought the used bow.)The guy that runs this shop is the best of the shops I have visited, but I still walked out withmy bow shooting inconsistant. Good guy though. Probably go back in there tonight and have him peek atthe problem and see if he will try to repair it.
2.) Gander Mountain in Greenwood area. Pro behind the counter was too busy to actually help me with the bow. The bow is set up for a stick on arrow rest (it has a thick riser). He let me know this was the only way to fix the situation and showed me to the arrow rests. They wouldn't work onmy bow because they were to worried about selling me stuff I didn't ask for. [:'(]
3.) The Outdoorsman Sport Shop in Greenwood area. The guys in this shop seemedTOTALLY uninterested in my problem and kept telling me that everything looked ok. This is a nice shop with alot of products for all hunting stuff, but theemployees don't seem to care aboutcustomers at all in the bowshop upstairs. I had the guy in the gun section asking me how he could help me but nobody upstairs seemed tocare about my issues. Just another shop there to sell me a new bow. [:@]
4.) Whitetails Unlimited in Mooresville. The guy that was in this shop was very short. Nothing wrong with that but he insisted that my problem couldn't be fixed because there was epoxy that sets the insert. Since he obviously did not care to work on my bow I asked him if he could get me an insert so I could do it myself.He looked on the shelf for a couple seconds and said he didn't have one. No problem with that but he acted like this problem couldn't be corrected, and never offered to get me a new insert. He does have more reasonable prices than anywhere else though.[&:]

Help!! Where the heck can I get good service on my bow in Indiana. I know there has to be a good bowshop with a helpful proshop here in Indiana! I am about ready to invest in the tools to do it all myself! Since the insert sticks out far enough, the actual mounting bracket of the Whisker Bisquit doesn't touch the side of the riser.There is a small space there. If I have to resort to it I will put a washer big enough to fit around the insert so the bracket will be square to the riser with the washer sitting flat on the riser and the bracket resting on the washer. (If anyone has a better idea let me know!)

I take my bow to these shops to find out where I want to make my purchases! I don't want to shop at a place where they don't care to help their customers! I am not in the market for a new bow yet, but in a couple years I would like a new bow. A nicer model at that! But I am not going to buy a bow from a shop where they wont work on my older bows. So if you are a local give me advice on where to go that has good support and advice.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Indiana bow shops

Personally,
I won't go anywhere but to The Outdoorsman. They have always taken the time to explain to me why I should or shouldn't do something. Their customer service is alot better than anywhere else that I have gone to. I made the mistake of having work done on my bow at Gander Mountain, only to have The Outdoorsman re-fix it. I have had issues where I was shooting poorly and thought it was my bow, talked to them about it. They took my bow to the back checked everything out. Then they took me to the range to verify that the bow was okay, and that it was just me that had chagned... If they said it looked okay, then chances are it probably is. However, if you really feel this is an issue of concern and cause of problem, then take it back in there to them. Have them look it over again, and if they say the same thing then be more proactive in the conversation in learning why they believe so and restate your obvservations again. I have learned alot from those guys from doing this.... Right now is the busy season for all archery shops and may have just caught em at bad times...

Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Spike

In all seriousness, I felt that this shop was the worst of all the shops when it came to customer service. They asked me what the draw weight was and I told them I was uncertain. Maybe in my little dream world, when a customer is not certain of something, an employee of a shop would offer to check the draw weight for you. After a couple minutes of the guys talking about what they wanted for lunch, I asked if they could check the draw weight for me. He was happy to do so, but they were not as happy to check on arrow spine for me. When I asked about that one guy went to the back (I assumed to check on what arrow I should be using.)and he never returned. The other guy knows his stuff because he immediately said I needed to shoot a 2117 Easton. When I checked up on this he was wrong. I wasn't suprised because he had no idea what my draw length was. It is too bad because this is one hell of a shop merchandise wise!!! I hope for their sake I caught them on a terrible day. I was the only customer there though and it seemed like they thought I was a hassle. Did you buy your bow from them? Maybe we have had different people waiting on us or maybe if you bought your bow from them, they are more helpful to people who have purchased bows there.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my wife a Hoyt Kobalt from them about 2 months ago, and have been going there for over 2 years. Prior to that the only thing remotely pricey I had purchased from them were new arrows. During the off months I generally go in a couple times a month to shoot, and about weekly during season. When they are slow if I need a little tweak here and there they would usually do it w/o charging me. They also have spent time on the range with me whenever I was having an issue. They have spent quite a bit of time with my wife helping her with her form (even before the new bow). Most of my friends have stopped going to GM, which they live closer to, in favor of the Outdoorsman. Primarily because their knowledge and customer service is far better. It sucks that your first encounter with them put a sour taste in your mouth, but I would recommend giving them another shot. There have been times when I went in there certain that an adjustment was off, and they told me it was right and left it at that. For my own piece of mind I started to pick their brains to understand the "why." Unless they were busy they have always been glad to teach me about something new... I have learned tons from those guys. My current bow is at least six years old, and my old bow is closer to twenty. I'm sure they would rather sell me a new bow (which when the time comes will be from them) than work on another old bow, but they have never given me a hard time about it or push the issue....
Old 11-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Im not sure where abouts you are. But i go to a shop in wabash i believe it is. The place is called Bass and Bucks. They have a website you can go to so you can check there hours and location. I have only been living in indiana for a short time.I have only been there one time looking for the new 09 diamonds. Its family owned and the customer service was awesome. I told them that was my first time there and they gave me a tour of the whole place. Showed me their ranges and everything. A friend went with me to talk to someone about a muzzleloading question and he got more info than he was looking for. They are a dealer for like 15 different bow companies. Its a nice place and im guessing if you called them they would be happy to help you out. I dont know howfar of a drive it would be for you but i drive about 30-40 minutes to get there. But like i said i have only been there one time but they gave me more than enough reason to buymy next new bow from them and make that drive and recommend them to other people. Good luck with that issue you have going on.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Oh and that website is bassandbucks.com i believe. if its not it then just go to a search engine like yahoo and type in bass and bucks and it should bring it up.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Spike

I know this thread is a couple years old, but I finally found a decent bow shop in Indiana. The shop is called The Barn Archery. The guy there, Mike Maskell, was very helpful, and knows how to work with customers. I ended up buying a bow from him. I got a Hoyt Alphamax 35. So thanks Mike!! I'll be sending people your way and bringing them in with me whenever I stop in.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Give Don Eberman a call in Bedford. I drive over an hour to get to him.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Spike

Parker's Archery in Spencer Indiana is a very good archery shop, with lots of knowledge and a few sponsored shooter such as Zach Parker (works there) who shoots with Hoyt, and Darrin Christenberry (friend of the owner) who shoots for Mathews, not to mention Jeff Parker (works and owns the shop) is a very knowledgable bow tech.