Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bare Shaft Tuning

Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bare Shaft Tuning

I've been working on tuning my bow. I striped the fletchings off of one arrow and have been shooting it through paper. I for the life of me can't get it to shoot a bullet hole. I eliminated the right/left tears, but it still tearing about an inch high. (tail higher than tip). I've moved the rest high and low, and neither way seems to diminish the tear. I figured that was just the way it was going to be and I put my broadheads on. (I'm trying Muzzy 3-blade 100's and Thunderhead 100's) Both of these heads hitting low. (about 4 inches). I am predicting that the b-heads hitting low has something to do with the high tear. Am I correct? Do you guys know of anything that I could try to eliminate the tear or just so the b-heads are hitting dead on? I've thought about shooting b-heads and moving the rest to make them hit on, but I'm not sure that is the best option. Should I try it, or is there something else I can try. Thanks in advance.
Steven
Old 08-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bare Shaft Tuning

Move your nock set down. Loosen the nock set so you can turn it on the serving, like a nut on a bolt. Turn it down a turn at a time and try another shot at 20 yards. Adjust the nock set until your bare shaft impacts 1/2" below your fletched arrow. You are very close to being tuned now. Just take a few more minutes to fine adjust your setup and your in the groove.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

More info would sure help. What bow weight and drawlength. Length of arrows and what kind. What type of rest?
Did you try shooting different distances with the broadheads? It sound much like your arrows may be underspined. Another possibility is too much tension on the rest, which will kick the tail end of the arrow up as it leaves the bow.

One other thing is that when tuning (paper or otherwise) you should get the vertical tear taken care of first, then do the horizontal.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your in put guys, I actually reposted it in the bowhunting forum and they got me all staighted up.

Here is a 35 yd group with broadheads.