Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 "Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time."  True??? >

"Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time." True???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

"Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time." True???

Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time." True???

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Not sure about the rest of your setup, but I have to agree on the blazers being a waste. If I shot a biscuit, I would shoot them because they are durable. But I won't shoot a whisker, and therefore won't waste my time with blazers. I have tried them, and are really no better than .4" 4" duravanes. In fact, I find with alot of people they cause issues with drop aways.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I've gotten better arrow flight w/ FP's and BH's with BLAZERS than anything else I've tried, 4" duravanes straight, offset, helical, 4" quickspins, and blazers all in my arrow collection right now, and the BLAZERS shoot the best, then the "Quickspins," followed by the Helical Duravanes, and not much difference between the last 2. What I like about the blazers for me is that I can let that arrow ride the drop-away until the VERY last instant, where with 4" Duravanes, I had to time it to drop a little earlier.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

For hunting,my personal belief is that nothing beats a 4" feather.I also don't like the WB,so feathers are the perfect choice for me.To be honest,feathers tune better out of a WB but replacing them every other day would be a pain in the you know what so Blazers are probably the best way to go.

My fealing is they are way too stiff which will result in some loss of forgiveness at some point.How many times have you seen on here complaints about hitting the cables or rest or whatever else with them?

I did some extensive penetration test a while back and for me,I found my fletching choice made the biggest difference if my arrow came completely out the other side or not.Many times the fletching hung up when feathers blasted right through.Both would result in dead,easy to find deer but having the arrow laying on the ground means I get to reuse my arrow and not have the deer break it. Blazers are taller and stiffer than regular vanes(I was using low profile 3" vanes)so they would probably hang up more but they were not even available when I tested.

So I basically agree with the "pro" but that doesn't mean he is right,or that I am.BUT,in no way do I feel Blazers or the WB won't work,but in both cases,IMO,they are both overhyped.But so are fall aways.

He needs to help you and provide you with the service you ask for,if his opinion is asked for,then he can give it,without being condecending.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

I was always a 4" vane guy when it came to hunting setups. Shot that from the time I was 13, till I was 30. Once in awhile I'd get a bug up my butt to shoot feathers, but got tired or re-fletching arrows. A few years ago I tried the Blazers. Thought they did well, and then I tried the Quikspin speed hunters. They shot just at well, but were rather noisy, and pricey, and that led me back to the Blazers.

Now this year, the vane that has me turned on is the AAE Max Hunter. They are a much softer vane, very durable material though, as I've used their 4" vanes for years and years. But that little Max Hunter, a shield cut vane, same height as the Blazer, is consistenly shooting tighter groups for me out to 45 yards over my Blazers. They are shooting a touch lower, but I don't care about that. I'll take the accuracy and consistency. They are made with a nicer base to the vane too, and fletch a lot nicer for me. I haven't put them through a good broadheadsession yet, but the few arrows I fired looked to be good. I'll know more in a few days. Maybe I'll put up a review of them. I haven't heard to much of them on here, if at all. But the dudes on AT seem to love 'em.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting. Maybe it's because we're Hoyt guys ...........I always thought the same thing, as I usually find myself slapping on my trusty Bodoodle Pro Lite for hunting season to replacewhatever fall away I've been toying with all summer.

ORIGINAL: TFOX

they are both overhyped.But so are fall aways.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

Interesting. Maybe it's because we're Hoyt guys ...........I always thought the same thing, as I usually find myself slapping on my trusty Bodoodle Pro Lite for hunting season to replacewhatever fall away I've been toying with all summer.

they are both overhyped.But so are fall aways.
That is one of the best rest ever,I am currently using the Spot Hogg Whammy because it has the advantages of a drop away,fletching clearance for small diameter arrows and the tunability/shootability of a prong style rest.

I like a few fallaways,but they are all overhyped,mostly because of the marketing.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Not sure about the rest of your setup, but I have to agree on the blazers being a waste. If I shot a biscuit, I would shoot them because they are durable. But I won't shoot a whisker, and therefore won't waste my time with blazers. I have tried them, and are really no better than .4" 4" duravanes. In fact, I find with alot of people they cause issues with drop aways.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I've gotten better arrow flight w/ FP's and BH's with BLAZERS than anything else I've tried, 4" duravanes straight, offset, helical, 4" quickspins, and blazers all in my arrow collection right now, and the BLAZERS shoot the best, then the "Quickspins," followed by the Helical Duravanes, and not much difference between the last 2. What I like about the blazers for me is that I can let that arrow ride the drop-away until the VERY last instant, where with 4" Duravanes, I had to time it to drop a little earlier.
I suggest possibly a tune issue if your seeing a huge flight difference. Technically, a perfect form, you wouldn't even need vanes.

4-5" feathers would blow any of them away.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: XXXL Bowhunter

Khawk, actually it is just a local shop. The pro says he does it for a hobby. There is no doubt the guy knows more about bows than I do, but I have shot my blazers out to 50 yards accurately with fp's, not broadheads, but should be able to do the same. I got the feeling that he was just old school and didn't like the new technology.
I'm shooting fixed blade heads accurately out to 60 yards (and probably farther but don't have the room to try) with helical Blazers through my Whisker Bisquit but what the Hell do I know? I've never taken 3rd at a Triple Crown.[&:]
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest possibly a tune issue if your seeing a huge flight difference. Technically, a perfect form, you wouldn't even need vanes.

BC,
It's slight, but out at 50yds or so, it's a bit more extreme, groups go from 4.5-5.5" to 6-7.5" or so. But it's enough that I'll stick with my Blazers.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:53 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

BC,
It's slight, but out at 50yds or so, it's a bit more extreme, groups go from 4.5-5.5" to 6-7.5" or so. But it's enough that I'll stick with my Blazers.
That could be anything, could be spine, clearance. Doesn't explain the whole story. I have yet to see too many field archers using blazers.

No doubt, they work. But nothing extordinary.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting,my personal belief is that nothing beats a 4" feather.
I'll give that an Amen. The Lord designed a feather to stabilize a 20# turkey in flight.... I think it can handle a 125gr broadhead.

That said though, even though a feather might do the best job of stabilization over all.... that doesn't necessarily mean its the perfect fletch for everyone.

"Blazers" proper, I've been using and fletching extensively for the last couple of years... this year, I've discovered NAP twisters... and I frankly like them a whole heck of a lot better. I think their quality control is better. I don't think I've ever bought a pack of blazers that was exactly the same, if I was say buying them over a 4 month period. Some have primer, some are harder, some softer, some have that little ditch in the bottom now... most of them are not cut off squarely in the front....

When a fix, such as a taller, stiffer, fletch, becomes a problem, such as creating contact, then it certainly isn't a solution anymore. I think its barking up the right tree... lighter, tougher, taller.... but like with everything else there is a law of diminsihing returns.

I'd shoot feathers still myself if they weren't so dang expensive. The noise in flight is probably the next biggest concern, followed by durability.