Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A waste of time??? >

A waste of time???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A waste of time???

Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Spike

Default A waste of time???

I have a 160 acres of land in good deer country in Ok, I was just in there last week and the landowner has decided to remove all the cedar trees. This is something I have been wanting him to do for a long time, but not during the prime time of the season. He won't stop so am I wasting my time trying to hunt this area or should I just sit and hope?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A waste of time???

160 acres is a lot of land. The owner can't work all of it at one time. I'll hunt it if you don't want to!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd hunt it as well. You'd be surprised how the deer move in when he moves out. Here in PA it seems the deer show up when you fire the chainsaws, I don't know if they associate it with fresh tree top browse.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:49 PM

My dad and I have built several permanent free-standing stands over the past couple years, chain saws, drills, us talking, 4 wheeler going back and forth...plain and simple, it's pretty noisy. It never fails though, when we take a break--something always moves in to check out the noise (and that's on 80 acres)

So, long story short...

HUNT IT!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Spike

He is not doing the cutting himself, he has hired a tree cutting team. They work 8-5 mon through fri. They have dozers and tractors. It's a giant mess! He said they will be out of there by this weekend but the trees will not be removed until the spring, andi'm talking about a lot of trees.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The loggers on my family property started cutting (3 year contract) 2x days before the opener in PA. I still saw as many deer as I did before and the logging trails and tree tops have really improved the property already. The deer were moving and very relaxed with saws going less than 200 yards away.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they are out by the weekend I can be there by Saturday evening. HUNT IT!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:24 PM

okie legrant,

I have experience here.

1) A relative used to work in a family logging operation. The deer came out of the wood work when the logging started. He drove a skidder, and would watch the deer come out on to the trails he was skidding down , walking behind him as he drove on, and they would eat the fresh browse.

2) Thefamily lease at the timewas about 750 acres. We actually would invite the manageing timber company to send the logging crews to our lease, right before the start of modern gun season, so they could start logging there during the season. Not only did it get the deer up and moving ( having all that heavy equipment running all around the lease ), but they were also willing to drop their front blade, and PUSH out any road we wanted. So if we had a spot we wanted to put a stand in, and they were logging in that section of woods, or right next to it, they would make a clear road in to that area. Never had to pay a dime for it either.

But in no way did it hurt our hunting.

Enjoy it. Good hunting.

God Bless
Old 11-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'd be hunting. I've been cutting wood the past couple months and have seen more deer doing that than I have from my treestand hunting. They seem to associate the chainsaw with fresh browse.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, thay about coverd it, Hunt it!

Quick Reply: A waste of time???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.