Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Rest

Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 PM

Default Arrow Rest

Ok, I am just getting back into Archery Hunting after about 14 years. When I was a kid I had my first bow. I had it set up with an "overdraw" to shoot short arrows for higher speeds. I would like to know if "overdraws" are still being used as much as they were back then? I would go to my local shop but I am currently stationed in Iraq and that is alittle hard to do right now. Thanks for your help....
Old 09-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrow Rest

First, let me say thank you for what you do ! I sleep better at night knowing people like yourself are out there makin' it safe.

About overdraws,not really, most bows of lately have the rest positioned in back of the riser and in centerline with the string. Not as short a arrow as before but keep in mind that carbon arrows are much lighter than the logs of the past and much stiffer, and bows are transfering their energy from string to nock like never before ! Check into some of the new models out ther and see the speed they are delivering, amazing to think that just a few years ago we all had to cut down arrows, lighten them up and stress out all the parts on the bow just for a bit more speed.... Now entry level bows are cranking out those old speed demon f.p.s. Look around and try a few, and ask on HNI for help. All here will help...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Arrow Rest

Bowdaddy covered it.

I just wanted to add my THANKS to you and all your fellow soldiers for all you do.
Also, just one tidbit about overdraws. They are a thing of the past and that's a good thing. They were great for speed, I used them too, but they were hard to shoot and dangerous. Think about it, if you torque the bow (or twist it at the grip) then you moved the rest bigtime because it was behind the pivot point of your hand. It would send an arrow way off. Also if an arrow broke or fell off the rest, they went through your hand/arm. Happened LOTS of times. Hardly ever hear of it now. Like BowD. said, new bows today are smoother, quieter and faster with 30" carbons than those 24" OD shooters ever were. Only advantage to an OD is that your arrows being short, on todays shorter length bows kept them from digging in the dirt when you lower your bow from a stand.

Take Care over there. Hope you get back to bowhunt soon.