Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Rest

Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 PM

Default Arrow Rest

A buddy and I were talking earlier today, and he told me that he went out and bought a new rest and some new arrows.
Now here is the thing; me and him are totally opposite when it comes to arrows and rests!

I shoot carbon arrows, with feather fletchings, and I use a whisker biskit. He shoots carbons but w/ viens and uses a fall away rest.
Today was pretty much the first time I have seen a fall away rest and how it works, and to be completly honest, I really dont like the way it looks! I mean maybe its just me, but with having another cord thats attached to your string, and relying on it to unlock the rest, just seems to have alot of variables, on things that can wrong!

Like I said Im new to the rest thing, but I have always lived by feathers! He doesnt see where they are better, but niether do I when it comes to viens...but what Im getting at is, which is a better arrow rest?

I love my whisker biskit, and it has never done me wrong yet, but is the fall away better?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 PM

Default RE: Arrow Rest

I bought a new fall-away about a month ago. It was almost immediately replaced by a whisker and promptly thrown out my window at high speed. You are gonna get many conflicting opinions about this. In mine, I prefer a whisker for hunting, and maybe would use the fall-away if I wanted to do competition shooting. The way I figure it, if I can shoot tight groups at 50 yards with the whisker, and my arrow cannot possibly fall off the rest, I have no reason to go to a fall-away.
Just my opinion
Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow Rest

I have shot both a fixed type prong rest (Golden Key) and I now shoot a muzzy zero effect (fall away) I like it a lot.

BUT do I notice any difference, Well in a simple answer no. But what a fallaway does is allows me added clearance if I want to shoot a hard helical fletching.

Since I fletch a lot of my own arrows I play alot with different veins and vary from staright to pretty radical twists. With the Muzzy I don't have to worry about fletch contact.