Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Replacing Vanes Question HELP >

Replacing Vanes Question HELP

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Replacing Vanes Question HELP

Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Replacing Vanes Question HELP

I have some arrows that the vanes need replaced how do you guys take them off and get the glue off without hurting the shaft what chemicals can I use on themI am getting these arrows refletched should I just let the pro shop take care of taking them off or will they charge for that Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Replacing Vanes Question HELP

i usuually use a somewhat dull knife and scrape the vanes off. then take some rubbing alcohol and rub it down, let it air dry then put a new vane on the shaft.

cabelas also makes a took to remove vanes, check their web site
Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 AM

ok,if you have aluminum arrows use a "box cutter" to scrape off the old vanes,then use acetone to clean the shaft.
if you have carbon ,i use the tool bohning makes to srape the vanes off (i use wraps)than i use goo gone to clean the glue off ,then wash the shaft with soap and water,wipe it dry and i'm ready to go.
if you don't use wraps scrape the vanes off and use scotch brite to (LIGHTLY) clean off any remaining residue.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

For carbon shafts I will take my pocket knife and scrape off any remaining glue on the shaft. You want to make sure you are not digging into the shaft itself. Once I have the glue scraped off I will scuff the area lightly with 320 grit sandpaper. Then wipe clean with damp cloth and let dry. Then I install the new vane.

If I am fletching brand new arrows I follow the same routine. Except after I scuff the area to be fletched I take the shaft and soak the end to be fletched in Bohning SSR cleaner and follow their instructions.