Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 replacing vanes?? >

replacing vanes??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

replacing vanes??

Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default replacing vanes??

I'musing a biscuit that appears to be messing with my vanes, all outta shape/wavey, so I'm thinking maybe poor quality vanes and would like to try redoing my arrows. Question is "just how technical am I going to have to get"? How to remove old ones, how will new vanes affect arrow flight, etc. etc. No wraps, just vanes. I see lots of folks using the Blazers butI believe current vanes are 4 in. so how will going to smaller Blazers effect whole set-up. I just picked up a new Bow after not shooting for about 16 years and am just having a blast so I don't want to tackle something that's gonnadrive me nuts just yet.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 AM

Default RE: replacing vanes??

IfWhiskerBiscut is messed up or old and the fibers are exetremely stiff then it might be your rest causing your fletching to be messed up. Most of the time the waviness is caused by you pulling the arrows out of your target to close or on the fletching....But yes it could mess you flight up. I would not worry about it if you are shooting 30yrds max, it won't cause that much difference, but if you do switch, switch to a blazer vanes.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

To answere your question about refletching your own arrows I say go for it. I don't see how anyone who shoots is not doing this I would spend so much time at the archery getting refletched and spending so much. It is so simple and with the Jigs they have today it does all the work for you. The hardest part is not putting too much glue on the Fletch. I was a little secard when I first started but now I am building my own arrows and would have it no other way its so easy and fun to do and you just feel better when you are shooting the arrows you have built yourself. Good Luck and Go for it Mike.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:14 AM

Here is a great walk through of replacing vanes. It even has pictures.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=449195

It really is simple.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 AM

there isnt that much of a process in doing so. first you have to take the existing flething off by either a razor blade or a Zip Strip tool, then you have to clean the arrow shaft itself, then just set in the jig and glue on. pretty simple after you do it a couple times. just be careful on the amount of glue that you put on. you dont want too much but you have to have enough so that the fletching wont come off. also with using a wisker biscuit, you will have to put tiny dabs of glue at the front of every fletching so that the wisker biscuit will not tear one off.