Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Torque

Old 08-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Torque

No matter how I hold my bow I still manage to torque the stupid thing[:@]...I dont notice I am doing it, but I can tell a major difference when I do. Does anyone have ANY advice to help me out?? Sorry for the stupid question.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Torque

You kids and your death grips.....

Ok, relax and try this. Look at your hand, and find the "lifeline" in your palm. See how it runs down towards your wrist and splits your your lower palm in 2 ? Take that part, and plant into the grip of your bow, the part that faces you. Then just relax your fingers, and let them fall. When you draw back, let your wrist bend backwards and lock itself. This will let you get a nice easy "push" on it while squeezing your release. You want that lifeline right in the middle of the "grip" on the bow. If you can, remove your grip, so you have just a thin riser, and it will be easier for you to get that part to sit in the lifeline. Try to find some pics of pro shooters and how they hold the bow. YOu'll see what I'm talking about. Get a wrist sling if your afraid of it flying out of your hand.

Make sure your draw length is ok too. If it's to short, you're gonna push the bow to one side and torque it. And most of all, just make sure you're comfortable with the grip on the bow. If not, scrap the bow for one you like to hold, or change grips. Comfort is everythingin this game.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more problems or questions. Now go shoot some x's.

Mike

ORIGINAL: KYDeerHunter03

No matter how I hold my bow I still manage to torque the stupid thing[:@]...I dont notice I am doing it, but I can tell a major difference when I do. Does anyone have ANY advice to help me out?? Sorry for the stupid question.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your grip should be like this.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

best way to let us help you is to show a picture with you at full draw, front and back
And maybe a close up of you grip.....
You'll get it all pointed out.....trust me, I had the same problem....

Frank
Old 08-13-2008, 05:59 PM

A slim grip (as pictured above)helps reduce torque. If your bow has a "fat" grip change it.
On Hoyt I shot sideplates only; my X Force is bare riser with alittle rubber piece on the side, perfect.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remove the sideplates from your hoyt's grip. Less palm in the grip. And learn to shoot with a surprise release so you dont "grab" for the bow. Its a sub conscious thing. I will show you something tomorrow, but "rotate" your left elbow out away from you, and it will place much less of your palm in the bows grip. And above all else, RELAX and dont dwell on your previous shot! The reason you are practicing from 40 yards, is to make your 20 yard hunting shots much easier. You are shooting absolutely fine for your experience level
Old 08-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

KYDH, don't feel bad. I torque a bow also. Even with grips as skinny as a PSE X-force. I can't help it. I have shot straight off the riser, with side plates, full grips, changedhowIgrip or don't grip a bowmore times than I can remember,changed draw length, changed releases, changed length of releases. Nothing has ever helped.

I torque a bow and after my bow is tuned my rest usually ends up at least 1/8th left of center and usually about 3/16ths. It drives me nuts but it is what it is.