Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow torque

Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Default bow torque

I'm shooting a hoyt vetrix with a trophy taker rest. And every once in a while I notice at 20 yards that my arrow has a slight whip to it. Could I be putting to much torque on the grip?

How do I check to see if I'm torquing the bow?

Any advice would be great

Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: bow torque

Have somebody watch you and critique you. Is your bowarm rock steady after the shot or does it jump one way? Is your release arm back behind your ear after the shot and following thru or pulling thru the shot or is right where it was when you hit the trigger?

Old 05-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

If you are still shooting accurate regardless of the arrow whip than I would say the bow needs tuned a little. My rest got out once and my arrows were noticebly kicking, but they were all hitting in groups. If you are shooting all over the place and accuracy is an issue than it is probably bow torque. I know someone who does this constantly and he is all over the place. He is always blameing his equipment and messing with his sights, but you can visually see him doing it. Bigcountry has the idea, have a knowledgable person watch you shoot a few.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Number your arrows. That way when you see the whip, you can find out if it's the same arrow each time. If you find out it's the same arrow each time, that'd keep you from doing unnecessary tuning.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM

I had one of my Easton Axis FMJ's awhile back that I had apparently damaged when the broadhead of arrow#7 nicked the nock end of arrow#2 - and dinged both the nock and the first 1/2" of the arrow. Didn't really notice it at first - but the arrow started always flying a little funny. And the flier is always arrow #2. I could have tuned that bow until the cows came home and never gotten good arrow flight.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Good point Roskoe, I had some similar problem with a erratic flier.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

-number the arrows
-look if the vanes are glued the same and still sticking all the way on all your arrows
-check the nocks if they are all turned the right way and that they stay put.
-look to see if the points or BH is screwed in straight or that the arrow is cut off straight
-try to hold your bow with as less contact between the hand and the grip, you might wanna search for some pics of different grips on the forum. That's how I learned.
-Make sure your arrows arent't pinched by your D-loop.

How many times do you get that per how many shots ? On in three, one in six...or maybe less.....
if you shoot 6 arrows and you always get one flier per 6 arrows, it's the arrow....

Torque can be a pain in the B.......

good luck,

F.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

and check if the impact of the arrows are the same, mostly if you're torquing the bow, the arrows won't be sticking in straight in the target.

F.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the help, I'm sure that it's bow torque, I think it's coming more from my anchor point then my grip. I haven't found a anchor point that works well for me. I'm rely on my kisser button.

thanks again for the help

matjac
Old 06-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

do you shoot a release or with your fingers ?
and do you shoot correct spined arrows ?
I would try and put a decent peep on your string and lose the kisser.
Make sure, if you shoot a release that the piece between the jawpart and the buckle is strung loose, that you don't grip or pull that part, sometimes that gives you torque on the string as well.

F.

Quick Reply: bow torque

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.