Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 How much torque? >

How much torque?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

How much torque?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much torque?

How much torque(in/lb) should I put on base screws and ring screws?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much torque?

I forget the actual inch pounds (I'm thinking 15 or so but that may be way off), but I'd suggest snugging them tight without really twisting down hard. If you are using L-shaped torx or allen wrenches they (by design) limit hand torque. Do not use pliers or wrenches on the end of the torx / allen wrenches. Hand tighten until the tightening force gets too much. Especially with torx screws, a dap of oil on the threads actually helps tighten them. No need for Loc-Tite type compounds.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always use blue loctite on the base screws but not on the ring screws. On the base screw I tighten down until they bottom out on the base, ensuring the base is mated with the receiver. In terms of the rings just hand tight and I check them the first while after intial install to ensure they remain seated..over time being in elements, etc they will most likely not move but it's still good practice to check them periodically as part of your maint. routine. I tighten rings in a torque fashion alternating between the screws, similar to a tire. Ensures that even pressure is placed on all contact points.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Every base / ring combo is different. For example, my TPS ring caps and base-rifle screws are 15 inlbs. The ring-base cross bolts are 50 inlbs.

For average quality rings/bases, I just tighten one to "tight" by feel. You can feel tthe point where friction is locking the screw in place, but the fastener has not yielded yet. Then measure that torque and torque the rest, the same. Probably 10 - 15 inlbs
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Well, did some more research. Looks like leupold (what I have) used to reccomend about 22 in/lb for the base and 14-16 for the rings but now recommends 12-14 for the base and 14-16 for the rings.

Some seem to be concerned with shear strength of the screw and recommend half thefailure point pressure around 60-65 lbs for say a #6 Torx which would be around 30lbs.Which is fine for the base, but with the rings I would be more concerned about "crushing" the tube.

I think I'll go with about 20lbs or so on the base and 14-15 or so on the rings.