Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A 40 yard pie plate >

A 40 yard pie plate

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A 40 yard pie plate

Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default A 40 yard pie plate

I need some advise or tips or whatever you want to call it. I am having trouble getting a good group at 40 yards consistenly(spell). i have good 2-3 inch groups at 20 and 30 yards. but i am working on my 40 yard pin and it is taking alot more time then my other two. this is my first new bow and my second year of bowhunting. i dont have anyone else who can give me hands on training i am self tought with the help of HuntingNet and a couple people i talk to i have gotten this far. i was and i am just going to continue to do the only thing i know to do and practice but i wasnt sure if you guys and gals could give me any quick hints or not. i appreciate it.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A 40 yard pie plate

If you are not currently doing so. Try this grip out. It will help prevent you from torquing the bow upon release which can cause inaccuracy.

I'd work as much as possible at 20 & 30 ydsuntil you are consistently hitting well then try moving back to 35. It's a big jump from 30 to 40 yds. Sometimes when a distance is giving you problems you are better off moving in and getting your confidence up at 20 yds. My first few years I never shot past 30 yds in practice and limited the shots I would take to that yardage. When I moved back to 35 and then 40 it was a much smoother transition. I always believe in practicing further then I'd shoot but with a new archer that's the one time I disagree with that. Until you get good mechanics and consistent it's the wise thing to do even if you see others shooting further.

It's tough to do sometimes but it will make you a better archer in the long run. Think of it like shooting close to the rim until you make all your shots successfully and then you start to move back to the free throw line. Or, playing from the whites even though you'd like to play from the blues in golf.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

thanks alot. i do have a grip similar to that even tho my middle ring and pinky are kinda more straight out. i shot just a little bit ago and my first group was about 4 inches and it got larger from there i didnt shot that much but i realize i need all the practice i can get. i dont shot more then about 15-20 arrows per night as i have been advised it might help me shot better.

thank you again i was told to try to shot at 50 yards and that will make my 40 yds easier. i only want a 3 pins on my sight and i dont have a straight flat place to shot a clean 50 yards. i will try 35 tommorow for sure i never thought of that. its worth a try,maybe then like you said i can work up to 40. i want to be confident in a 40 yard shot this year if i can get there.... im gunna try.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you might want to drop your bow hand a bit and losen up on the grip. A wise man on here once told me, "trust your float". I guess its all about trusting your float. Youll get it.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It could be a mental thing. Ive seen it several times, someone is trying to shoot farther than they ever had and cant group at all. Just remember the basics. Shooting at 40 is no differant than shooting at 20 or 30. You need to make sure your doing everything exactly the same except use your 40 yard pin. It maybe farther than you have ever shot before just keep in mind its only 10 yards. The farther you shoot the more exagerated your flaws in shooting form will be.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could be canting the bow a little witch deffinitly(spl)will show up at 40-yrds and beyound,I was not one for shooting 40yrds and farther and couldnt group well,I was ether left or right then I started to pay attention to my level on my siteand now thru lots of practice I do very well(heart/lungs) at 40-60yrds.....
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

You could be canting the bow a little witch deffinitly(spl)will show up at 40-yrds and beyound,I was not one for shooting 40yrds and farther and couldnt group well,I was ether left or right then I started to pay attention to my level on my siteand now thru lots of practice I do very well(heart/lungs) at 40-60yrds.....
i do have a level on my sight. i have found that to make a big difference in my shooting. if i keep the level where it needs to be then groups are smaller thanks for the advise. im still working on it i think i can do better well actually i need to do better to be lethal and make an ethical shot.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: passthru79

It could be a mental thing. Ive seen it several times, someone is trying to shoot farther than they ever had and cant group at all. Just remember the basics. Shooting at 40 is no differant than shooting at 20 or 30. You need to make sure your doing everything exactly the same except use your 40 yard pin. It maybe farther than you have ever shot before just keep in mind its only 10 yards. The farther you shoot the more exagerated your flaws in shooting form will be.
very well said thank you. i think that is more of it then i give i think it is. the target looks so much more smaller and i use the motto every time i shot aim small miss small. im probably over thinking it or something like that. thanks for commenting.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can develope a mental picture of how the bow sits when the bubble is level you can get away with not looking at it all the time,I know when I started useing the level it looked to me the bow was still canted but it wasnt,it was just the perception I got looking thru the peep,I also shoot with both eyes open...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Practice practice practice. Practice makes perfect, and you have to have perfect practice too. Make sure your bow is tuned well too as far as cam timing and paper tears. Things get different beyond 30 yards. The breeze starts to affect the arrow more, and any mistake you do in grip, flinch or punching the trigger will show up at that range. 40 yards is a long way to shoot at a deer in the woods. I practice with bheads out to 50 yards, and I've killed 40-45 deer with a bow. Maybe 3 of them were over 30 yards, and one at 55. So just relax, practice, and know your limits.

Nobody can critique your form till someone sees it. So if you can get to a good shop with some good shooters to help ya out, it's tough for us on here. Relax your bow had, and squeeze the release. let the pin float, and focus on the X. LOL after about 1000 shots, it'll become natural for you

ORIGINAL: forddeerslayer

I need some advise or tips or whatever you want to call it. I am having trouble getting a good group at 40 yards consistenly(spell). i have good 2-3 inch groups at 20 and 30 yards. but i am working on my 40 yard pin and it is taking alot more time then my other two. this is my first new bow and my second year of bowhunting. i dont have anyone else who can give me hands on training i am self tought with the help of HuntingNet and a couple people i talk to i have gotten this far. i was and i am just going to continue to do the only thing i know to do and practice but i wasnt sure if you guys and gals could give me any quick hints or not. i appreciate it.

Quick Reply: A 40 yard pie plate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.