Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A 40 yard pie plate >

A 40 yard pie plate

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A 40 yard pie plate

Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A 40 yard pie plate

When everything is flowing and you just shoot without having to think about shooting it's a great feeling. Everything just flows and you lock onto the target like amissile being directed by a laser and bam you center punch the target.

That comes from shooting a lot but shooting right. If you are just flinging arrows without thinking about form you will never be good enough to lock onto a target like that. It's also nice when you pick a small spot on a target and visualize your arrow hitting that target and the next thing you know you've released and hit that spot. The good part about it is once you get locked in like that your first arrow you shoot will often be the best out of a 3-4 shot group. And as a hunter that's what you really want in the first place.

Something else to help is mix up your targets. If you are always shooting at the same dot or target it gets monotonous and your mind will start to wonder. You can make a game out of it if you want.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

^+1 on that. go to a club or shop where there are good shooters. pros or the old timers. for the last 2 years i have been shooting with guys that shoot all the nationals and stuff like that and i cant tell you how much better i have gotten. i know more about bow mechanics and tuning, which has greatly increased my ability to fine tune and adjust when needed. another big one is shooting 3d's. i think there is no better practice then shooting one shot at one target adn making it count. its just like hunting. all of this has helped me progress so mcuh in the last 2 years and i have been shooting for 7or 8 years now. i am more confident right now than i have ever been.
and just remember when hunting, if you are doubting the shot, dont take it b/c the last thing you want to do is wound an animal. just take your time and practice and who knows, you may be shooting your 40's solid by season. good luck
Derek

Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

LOL...I'm trying to figure out where to type here but there's to many quotes to keep track of !!

But yes, if you shoot enough, and you're shooting well, your confidence will get better and it will become natural to you. I've said this to a couple other guys on here and I'll tell and any other beginner the same thing: If you can get involved in a winter indoor league, do it ! Shooting vegas 3 spots in the winter time, improved my shooting immensely. You'll spend a little bit of money on different equipment for your bow, or hel, you may get addicted to it and buy a dedicated target bow like I did! It's super fun, and it works wonders for your abilities and confidence in the field.

Oh, you were talking about shooting at dots and plates and such. If you're practicing for hunting right now, by all means, practice on a clean paper plate. I like to use the 4" or 5" diameter ones myself. Shooting at those forces you to pick a spot, like you have to do on a deer. There are no little orange dots on a deer. You can always shoot the first arrow at a imagined spot, then aim for your arrows afterwards if you want to shoot at a dot.

If you really want to chat about shooting, send me a pm sometime.

Late man

ORIGINAL: forddeerslayer

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

one more thing I forgot to mention. Shooting 15 or 20 arrows for a practice session probably ain't enough. I know, it goes against what most are telling you, but that just isn't a long enough session to program your brain and burn your routine into it. I've been around some pro's and heard them say several times it takes them 30 or 40 practice arrows to get themselves in their groove before a competition round. If you're shooting 15 or 20 arrows, and you're not tired or shaky, keep going. If you're hitting good, just shoot some more. Go until you either get tired, or start to shoot badly. Then you quit. You'll know this point the more you shoot. Archery is a sport of repitition, and mental training. More mental than anything. And you want to literally make yourself a robot, especially in the head. YOu want drawing, aiming, and releasing to be like tying your shoes. And the only way to do that is by good repitition.

You won't get good at long distance if you don't put in the time and effort. And don't worry about 50 or 60 yards right now. Become 100% confident at 30, then play at 35, then 40. If you skip 40, and go to 50, you're just gonna frustrate yourself even more. Baby steps my man, baby steps.

And most of all, enjoy it. It's supposed to be fun!

thanks for saying that it is fun i love it even if i get frustrated its better then work or alot of other things lol.

question tho does it really become that natural? i have a long way to do lol thats not a bad thing im looking forward to it. like i said i love shooting my bow i want to learn and do all i can to be the best i can at it. again thanks for taking your time to share your advise with me i will take hed to it. i will be more consious about how many i shot and stop as youmentioned. that makes very good sense to me. i can see where the 12-15 or so i was shooting and then stopping is like trying to ride a bike for 5 minutes and then stopping for the day.
thanks again for your helpbest of luck all of you this season!

ORIGINAL: forddeerslayer

thanks alot. i do have a grip similar to that even tho my middle ring and pinky are kinda more straight out. i shot just a little bit ago and my first group was about 4 inches and it got larger from there i didnt shot that much but i realize i need all the practice i can get. i dont shot more then about 15-20 arrows per night as i have been advised it might help me shot better.

thank you again i was told to try to shot at 50 yards and that will make my 40 yds easier. i only want a 3 pins on my sight and i dont have a straight flat place to shot a clean 50 yards. i will try 35 tommorow for sure i never thought of that. its worth a try,maybe then like you said i can work up to 40. i want to be confident in a 40 yard shot this year if i can get there.... im gunna try.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Try the 40 yrd. shot first thing, when your fresh.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

There may be no little orange dots, but there are not black ones either. You pick out spots on a deer just like you do on a target (not a round spot but a place of reference). A hair out of place, wet spot, etc, Or, you put an imaginaryplace through the vitals that you see your arrow going. A big paper plate does not give you that reference point until you at least put a hole in it. I'll even shoot at a burred up place on the target instead of a dot.

In the winter I shoot out to 120 yds outside and never at a dot on a target.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

exactly what I was getting at ............you just worded a little better than I did...

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

There may be no little orange dots, but there are not black ones either. You pick out spots on a deer just like you do on a target (not a round spot but a place of reference). A hair out of place, wet spot, etc, Or, you put an imaginaryplace through the vitals that you see your arrow going. A big paper plate does not give you that reference point until you at least put a hole in it. I'll even shoot at a burred up place on the target instead of a dot.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

i will keep that in mind esepically come deer season thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

you guys are awesome! i have been shooting at 35 yards for a couple of days and was getting pretty good at that range. i did what you all told me to do i spray painted a quater size dot on the back side of my target floated my 40 yard pin put pressure on my releaseand was 2 inches to the right. by the time i had shot my first dozen i would say my groups were on average of 4 inches alot better then i was at before. i had this thread setting beside me while i was outside and would re read different parts of it after every group of three. now i will be shooting more arrows each night for sure. thanks to all for your help over this past week im not gunna settle for 4 inches im gunna do better i just wanted to let you all know that you did make a difference in my shooting THANKS ALOT!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are welcome.
Good Shooting and good hunting this fall.