Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 can vanes cause bad flight stabalizing? >

can vanes cause bad flight stabalizing?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

can vanes cause bad flight stabalizing?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: can vanes cause bad flight stabalizing?

I've got no problem shooting 80 yards, or even further, for target shooting or just the helluvit. No need for disclaimers with me. I love backing off as far as I can, and seeing if I can still hit a target.

According to the Carbon Express arrow selector chart, you are right at the top of the range for 6075's right now. But I don't know how long it's been since that arrow selector was reworked and the cam on your bow might be newer and higher performance than their chart was developed to account for. It could put you over the top. If you back off 5 pounds, that will give you a little more buffer. But that would put a damper on your long range pin.

Next time you buy arrows, you'd probably be better off to go up a spine range.

What we used to do in field archery to shoot long range targets with fixed pins was called 'pin stacking.' We'd have our 20-30-40-50 and 60 pins. For 70 we'd hold the 60 pin on target, read the 50. That would show us where to place the 60 pin to hit the spot at 70. For 80, we'd double stack, read that 60-50 gap twice to get the aim point. With those much slower bows in the 80's, we'd often be using a spot on a cloud (and hope it wasn't moving too fast) or a leaf in a tall tree behind the target for an aim point.

Just wanted to put that out there so you'd know you can still shoot out to 80 yards without having arrows fast enough to get pins for all those distances in between.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks A.P.

yea i have done the stacking but, my accuracy in doing that seems to go down much further that i would like. How many turns on the limbs would you recommend?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 1 1/2 turns should drop the weight about 4.5#. Most bows get about 3# per turn.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks BG, i turned it down a tad (about 1/2 turn) to see what would happened...i shot much better out to 60 this weekend....as long as this stays consistant i think i am good, thanks for everyones input
Old 07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad it seemed to help. One thing. Never be afraid to tinker with a bow. It's a lot easier to play with the bow than it is to play with different arrows, different lengths, points, fletching, and so on. Many people lose sight of the fact that limb bolts serve a lot ore purposes than just holding the limbs to the riser. They can be a very good tuning tool and are already paid for..