HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   can vanes cause bad flight stabalizing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/251126-can-vanes-cause-bad-flight-stabalizing.html)

JNTURK 06-30-2008 09:57 PM

can vanes cause bad flight stabalizing?

i am having issues with my carbon express terminator lite arrows...with the vanes on them (4") i cannot get my broadheads and field points to line up correctly. but i fletched some duravanes (4") that are stiffer vanes and they seem to fly and group much closer together. Is this possible or is it just bad form on my part? I mean, i see a difference, but is it possible or just in my head.

the broadhead is a rage 2 blade and i am shooting the practice tips

JNTURK 07-02-2008 08:46 AM

RE: can vanes cause bad flight stabalizing?

bump. Hopefully someone has seen this or can verify. I hear people use Blazers and say that it improves accuracy, but is what i stated above possible as well?

Arthur P 07-02-2008 09:11 AM

I'd say if you consistently get better flight and better grouping with those vanes vs the others, you've shown it's darn well possible. You've made your own discovery and don't need my opinion to confirm it.;)

JNTURK 07-02-2008 09:14 AM

thanks Arthur

BGfisher 07-02-2008 09:26 AM

I agree with Art, but if your setup is tuned well it shouldn't make that much difference. It could be you are adding a bandaid instread of fixing the underlying problem.

Are your arrows properly spined for the bow? Have you paper tuned or broadhead tuned the bow? These are just a couple things that might help.

I'm not saying that the stiffer vanes won't help. I think the ue of Blazers the last couple years proves that, but it might not be the only answer.

JNTURK 07-02-2008 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I agree with Art, but if your setup is tuned well it shouldn't make that much difference. It could be you are adding a bandaid instread of fixing the underlying problem.

Are your arrows properly spined for the bow? Have you paper tuned or broadhead tuned the bow? These are just a couple things that might help.

I'm not saying that the stiffer vanes won't help. I think the ue of Blazers the last couple years proves that, but it might not be the only answer.
i am almost 100% sure the arrows are spined ok, much lighter then my old ones, but should be ok (terminator lites 60/75 at 31" draw at around 67#)...after a lot of research i found may people say that persons with not so good form will end up tinkering around with the paper tuning, bare shafting etc...because there form is off...i don't have great form, i would say it is ok...so i have never paper tuned it....do you still think i should? is there a way to help eliminate improper form from the paper tuning equation?

Arthur P 07-02-2008 06:03 PM

You're right on the raw edge with 6075's at your draw length at 67 lbs. I'd bet you're getting at least a slight underspine reaction with them. If you're running speed cams, I'd almost guarantee an underspine reaction.

BGfisher 07-02-2008 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

You're right on the raw edge with 6075's at your draw length at 67 lbs. I'd bet you're getting at least a slight underspine reaction with them. If you're running speed cams, I'd almost guarantee an underspine reaction.
I agree. Something you can try just to confirm this is to take about two turns off the limbs and see if things improve. If you get better flight then the answer is obvious. Either get stiffer arrows or shoot less poundage. And don't let anybody steer you wrong. There is nothing unmanly about shooting a bow around 62-63#. You are seeking accuracy so do what you have to do to get it.

In answer to your question, If your form is not pretty well spot on then I would not bare shaft tune. You'll just end up angry and bald from pulling your hair out. At this point I would try paper tuning to ensure the arrows ae leaving the bow in a straight manner. Try to get close to a bullet hole through paper. Then use Easton's Tuning Guide to help you with broadhead tuning.

Easton's Tuning Guide is almost considered THE tuning bible by a lot of people. It is written so as most people can understand what is being said and it works. What's a link for it Art?

Arthur P 07-02-2008 11:39 PM

Easton has removed the Tuning Guide from their site, or they've cunningly hidden it so all the old links to it don't work any more.

I found one archived at Jacksons. You need Adobe Acrobat to view it.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/tuning_guide.pdf

JNTURK 07-03-2008 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

i am not 100% sure of the 67lbs. i got new limbs and new string put on and when we pulled it back it was at around 68 or so, but when i adjusted the tiller and poundage went down some...so i 'may' be high balling the 67. At what poundage would you feel i would be ok on to not be underspinned??

i don't mind shooting lower poundage, my issue is the whole reason i went to a lighter arrow was to get my pin seperation on my sight so that i could shot from 20-80 yards ( i know no need to shot out to 80, but i like to practice further distances as it helps in the shorter shots)...so i accomplished that with the lighter arrow.