Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How short are your arrows? >

How short are your arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How short are your arrows?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How short are your arrows?

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

My bow has a 29" draw length, I've been shooting 27 1/2" arrows and they end in the middle of the riser near the berger hole. In an effort to save an arrow I cut 1 1/2" off of the end due to a small crack. This arrow is 26" long and it's still in front of my rest, I'm thinking about cutting all of my arrows now. My rest even has about 1" more adjustment making a 25" arrow possible. What's the concensus on arrow length, can they be too short?

I would be careful doing this because your arrow is becoming way under weight and thats like dry firing your bow.Unless you already accounted for this in your setup.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 PM

I had to reply!! I have baby arrows -- when I got my new bow with the correct draw length of 24 I had my arrows cut at the shop and they are 23". They are baby arrows compared to everyone else's!!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Gremlins in the machine!! Two identical posts! Sorry!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 PM

Centaur 1,

You can check out if you arrow weight is ok on Gold Tips websight, they have a cool feature called build your own arrow that gives you the total arrow weight based on all your choices (ie, lenght, point weight, fletching, etc...).
I tryed my father-in-laws CX hunters which are 26" on my bow, which is a 29" DL and had no problem with the field tips. When I tryed the Broad Head, no go. I have a dropaway rest that engages late in the draw cycle so the arrow remains on the shelf until I am almost at full draw. Which causes the bh to hit the front of the bow shelf. I use the CX maxima at 27.5".