Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Are these new arrows too short? >

Are these new arrows too short?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Are these new arrows too short?

Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Are these new arrows too short?

Hey all. I love the advice that everyone on this forum gives. sooo informative.

I recently ran into a small but not really a big issue. My father bought me a new set of arrows after seeing what was left of my practice set. haha. my practice set had only about 3 decent arrows left, the other 9 had become pretty much sticks

But anyways, my draw length is 29", and my practice arrows that i had were 31". I was told they must be 2 inches over my draw length. The ones my father bought me are exactly 29". He thought my draw length meant the length of my arrows. It sucks that they arent the same length as what i am use to, but I have a friend who is into bow hunting and is willing to buy them from me if i cannot use them.

So, what say everyone? could i still possibly use these arrows? Or should I just sell them and use the money to buy my other arrows at the proper length?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are these new arrows too short?

The arrow lenght is fine.

But what is more important are they the correct spine for your bow.
If you could post some more info ie brand and model of arrow, draw weight of the bow etc.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:41 PM

ok, i will post that all monday when i get back in town. sitting in the airport waiting for my flight as i write.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Actually they are still about an inch too long if you wanted them to AMO specs.

Your other ones are way too long unless they were a heavier spine than you needed. I shoot longer arrows than I need though, just to break the spine down of the arrows I want to shoot. Makes them a bit heavier as well which is ok with me.

What bow do you shoot, what draw length (measured not guessing), what draw weight (again measured) and what brand and size of arrow we talking about.

Most people shoot the same length arrow as their draw length is, makes it easier to remember that way. That's fine if they spine correctly.

No way to know if you have the correct length unless we know what they are and what you shoot. Spine is much more important than length.

Paul
Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

We really do need more info. Paul is usually pretty good, but I just had a thought, that if you are shooting traditional you may very well need the arrows a little longer, or if you have an older bow that doesn't have a cut-out riser at the arrow pass.

I'll wait till monday. Sorry Paul.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 AM

I was just assuming modern compound, not traditional or 15 year old compound.

Actually many that shoot the newer bows like a longer arrow. Some have a "thing" about having the broad head directly over their hand and want it out in front of the riser a bit. Nothing wrong with that as long as you get the correct arrow.

That is a bit difficult using the current calculator or spine charts though since they don't ask for your draw length AND arrow length. They base your draw length off from your arrow length assuming you have the correct arrow length (most don't from what I have seen).

This is why some of the archery soft ware is nice, it lets you pick any arrow length and draw length you want and will suggest the proper arrow. If I wanted to shoot a full length arrow with my 26 inch draw length I could tell the program that and it would tell me which arrow would work best for me. You are probably not going to do that with an arrow chart unless you have a fair amount of experience with it and different set ups.

Paul
Old 03-18-2007, 06:03 PM

Ok guys. I got abit of the info you needed to see if these arrows of mine will do.

First off, I currently have a compound bow. bought it last year. It is a Martin Jaguar. Nice little bow.

My draw length is 29". My bow weight is currently sitting at about 61lbs, but i will be cranking it up to 70 in the next few months (my bow range is from 55-70). The arrows that I were given are PSE Radial Weave 300's. I dont know what all that means, so if someone could indulge me as well, that would be great. (still trying to wrap my head around spine and arrows size and all that).

I notched one of the arrows already to see if there was enough clearance, and everything seemed quite fine. Even with a broadhead on it, it is fine.

Thanks sooo much fellas!!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM

ok. so i started to do my own research on those arrows. i am still new to archery. or rather, i have been doing it for a season but i just pretty much just bought the bow, some arrows and a target and started. so I havent gained too much knowledge as to inner workings into the sports. but at the same time, I do have a lifetime to learn it!

Down to the facts.

So i found a comparrison chart on the net at http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/carbon-force-arrows-chart.htm

it shows here that for my bow weight, that i should be shooting 200's or 300's at the arrow length that i have (29"). The arrows that i have are 300's. My only question is... would these arrows be too stiff for my bow?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

My bow weight is currently sitting at about 61lbs, but i will be cranking it up to 70 in the next few months (my bow range is from 55-70).
Currently according to the chart they are a tad stiff, but as you said you are going to be cranking the bow down so they will fall in line with the extra draw weight.

If it was me I would not be rushing out to buy new arrows.

I prefer an arrow be a tad stiff then a tad weak in the spine.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Ok. I will definitely try these out. And yeah, I will be tuning the bow up to 70 lbs this season so they will work then. Thanks a ton guys!!

Quick Reply: Are these new arrows too short?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.