HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   How short are your arrows? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/248146-how-short-your-arrows.html)

Centaur 1 06-03-2008 10:19 AM

How short are your arrows?

My bow has a 29" draw length, I've been shooting 27 1/2" arrows and they end in the middle of the riser near the berger hole. In an effort to save an arrow I cut 1 1/2" off of the end due to a small crack. This arrow is 26" long and it's still in front of my rest, I'm thinking about cutting all of my arrows now. My rest even has about 1" more adjustment making a 25" arrow possible. What's the concensus on arrow length, can they be too short?

MGH_PA 06-03-2008 10:33 AM

RE: How short are your arrows?

Well, as you cut them down, you are essentially changing the spine, so you really only want to go so far, otherwise the more you cut off, the stiffer you're making the arrow (assuming all other variables stay the same). Other than that, I just wouldn't want them so short that I risk the arrow popping off the back of the rest, or getting my bow hand too close to my broadheads. I shoot 27.5" arrows with a 28.5" DL. It's just fine for me.

formula1 06-03-2008 01:50 PM

I'm shoot a 26.25" arrow on a bow with 29" draw length. Yes, it stiffens up the arrow, but in my case it also allowed me to use a lighter shaft for the same reason. It's a trade off, but I haven't had any accuracy or spine issues.

TexasBowHunter 06-03-2008 02:48 PM

My shafts are 28 1/4" and they are about a inch past my rest. I have a 30"draw....I don't think they can be too short as long as they are spined right, way back in the days of over draws I was shooting 25" arrows with the same 30" draw legnth, however when you put your rest that far behind your riser it will seriously amplify any flaws you have in your form, grip, release etc...etc...

MichiganBowbender 06-03-2008 03:43 PM

29 inch draw, 28 inch Goldtip with a drop away rest and release.Keeps the broadhead in front of my hand where I'm more comfortable with it. I could probably cut back an inch, but I'll give up maybe 1-2 ft per second and not have to worry about missing the season, or worse.

8pt~Bowhunter 06-03-2008 05:23 PM

28.5"

demoIL 06-03-2008 06:46 PM

I'm a 28 inch draw and my arrows are 27 inches.. They are 27 inches because that is where they perform best with my setup.

AZHuntr 06-03-2008 06:51 PM

My draw length is a 26" but I use 27" arrows. I do this because I am now shooting a Maxima HUnter 350 which is alittle stiff for my DW 70lbs and thus I was told this would lessen the spine a little. I sthi correct? I know you say shorter you go the heavier the spine.

killzonearchery 06-03-2008 08:56 PM

my arrows are all 30 inch

MECHDOC 06-06-2008 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: AZHuntr

My draw length is a 26" but I use 27" arrows. I do this because I am now shooting a Maxima HUnter 350 which is alittle stiff for my DW 70lbs and thus I was told this would lessen the spine a little. I sthi correct? I know you say shorter you go the heavier the spine.

According to CX website chartsyour setup is fine.And yes the longer shaft will give you less spine.