Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Basic Bow Tuning >

Basic Bow Tuning

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Basic Bow Tuning

Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Spike

Default Basic Bow Tuning

Hi fellas

I'm not sure if there is a post on all of this or not but could someone please point me in the right direction to start tuning a bow? Everytime I'm not shooting good or I think something is wrong with my bow, which in most cases is my fault but I blame it on the bow. I go to an archery shop. I've been to a couple places where it was more let me sell you something and that will make you shoot better and really that isn't going to make me shoot better at all because there is a bigger issue. I neverowned a dual cam bow. I don't know the first think about twisting cables,setting the brace height, axle to axle (I know this has nothing to do with a dual cam but the last couple do) or making sure my camsare in time, or that they are synconized. I've owned a single cam which I found out that the draw length isto long and I bought aBinary Cam Guardian. ( Do I have to check timing and being in sync on this?)
I really like the bow and I believe that I shoot good with it. The problem is what happens if something happens to the bow and it becomes out of tune and I can't take it back to the shop that set it up. I may never see that accuracy again ornot for a while until I find a good bow shop which aresometimeshard to find.

I would really like to learn everything there is about tuning and I understand that alot will come from experience and trail and error but I want to learn.

My main concern is I'm too dependent on an archery shop.

Is there a good book or website that will get me started?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Basic Bow Tuning

I am not an expert but I would start with Easton's tuning guide:

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/tuning_guide.pdf
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Spike

Thanks Wilson

That is a really good site. What if I wanted to change my string and cables?
The specs for the 08 Guardian are 7 1/8 for the brace height and 33 3/4 for the axle to axle.
Iassume that I would twist the string and cables to make these things line up. How would I do that? Is there anything else that I would need done or could Ithen go to the tuning guide and follow the steps there?What about making sure the binary cams were lined up properly?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say manufacturers guidelines with dictate your method for cam tuning/brace height/ATA. Call Bowtech and ask for tech support if your operator's manual is inadequate or unavailable: (877).447.0293.

Some of the more experienced guys will eventually chime in...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ask all the questions you need to ask right here. I joined HNI a few years ago. My username then was Txrookie and for good reason. I didn't know a thing about bows, arrows, archery, bowhunting, or much else for that matter. i have made quite a progression since I've been here. I own a bow press now as well as an arrow saw, a fletching jig, etc. I do all of my own work now and everything I learned I learned here. I'm still a novice compared to many of the guys around here but I'm a far cry from the greenhorn I was. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: pizzitem

Thanks Wilson

That is a really good site. What if I wanted to change my string and cables?
The specs for the 08 Guardian are 7 1/8 for the brace height and 33 3/4 for the axle to axle.
Iassume that I would twist the string and cables to make these things line up. How would I do that? Is there anything else that I would need done or could Ithen go to the tuning guide and follow the steps there?What about making sure the binary cams were lined up properly?

Thanks
Jeff
First, you need to see if the bow needs tuned. Is the ATA good? Are you reaching peak wieght? Do you get good tears thru paper? Does you BH's and field points hit same POI? have you drew the bow back and see if the cams stops hit the cables at exactly the same time?

What I did to learn was take an older PSE of mine and changed out the cables and string, took everything apart. And put it all back together and paper tuned it, then bareshafted, then BH tuned. I then played around with creep tuning.

I also saw the effects on tears by raising my nock point 1/2" too high and came down slowly and went past the point of bullet hole tears to see the different effects.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM

To expand on Mark's comments, on the Guardian it is critical that the cams are hitting their respective draw stops and the same time. I you don't have a draw board, have someone draw the bow back slowlyand make sure the stops hit the same. If not, you will need to twist/untwist one of the cables to make this happen.