Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ? about string loops >

? about string loops

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

? about string loops

Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Spike

Default ? about string loops

I have a peep sight that just will not line up. My buddy suggested Iturn my loop to align w/ the peep. It works however, it doesn't stay but for a few shots. Should the loop be able to turn that much? I mean should it be tighter? Or is this just a string that needs to be twisted maybe?

Quakklz
Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ? about string loops

Are the knots tied correctly? One over, one under. BCY Loop material is superior to other choices.

See Greg's thread on tying D loops http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2185934

Very Informative!

Dan
Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

YOu can use Dan's suggestion, however I have a question. Does your peep rotate during the draw cycle? If it doesn't then you just need to twists the string so it faces stright back at rest. If it rotates some then you can twist the string so it rotates into position at full draw. Or you can remove or slide your serving away from the peep and moves strand from one side to the other to get it to align. Although you can use a loop for a fine-tune, so to speak, it's not the best way to control a peep.

What Dan said might be a bit confusing to you about the knots of the loop. What he means is that they should be tied so that the top and bottom knots should be tied so that the loop comes off the string on opposite sides, if viewed from the back. One left and one right.

Something else you might try is before tying on a new loop wax the serving. This reduces the friction between the loop and serving as you tighten the loop and lets it pull tighter.. And really tighten that loop. Use needle nose pliers to spread it. Something else is to, if possible, keep the loop as short as possible. The longer it is the more mass is there to make it swing around the string.

There's lots of little tricks. Some work better than others. Me? I keep it simple. I don't put a loop on in the first place. I shoot a rope release.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is howMatt/PA showed me how to tie it. Itworks wonderfully.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone's given you valuable advice, and I always value BG's input; he's always been one of my favorite posters from a knowledge standpoint.

He's got a great point, too. As Dan showed, you can see exactly how I tie in my D-loops -- and that thread contains a lot of the "tricks of the trade" BG alluded to. But, sometimes, after I initially tie in my loop, the string really hasn't been "shot in" yet... My brand-new Ally is a good example. I tied my loop on and now that I've got a few shots through it, I need to stick it back in my press and give the string a half-twist so that the loop isn't having to correct for the string settling in.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Spike

Well, I checked out how the loop was tied & it does in fact, have the knots on the same side. Also, I noticed that I must have messed w/ the peep & loop beforeI put it up, because they were lined up. But ifI shoot it 3 times, it won't be again & I will have to turn my loop again. LikeI said, it is not hard to turn, is this correct? I mean it is tight, but kind of easy to turn.