Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New At This. Any basic help?

Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM

Default New At This. Any basic help?

I'm closing on 140 acres next month. The land use to hold cattle 25 years ago but has since grown up. Turkeys & deer rule and there are quality, protected, fields located on the property. Good thick cover surrounds these open areas destined for foodplots. My main food plot areas are four 1-2 acre, kidney shaped plots located end to end from one another. They are fairly thin with great cover all around. Here are my list of questions (bear with me. I'm ignorant to farming but willing to learn):
1. A used tractor. All I need is something to bush hog and put down food plots. Any general size need/limits? Any recommendations?
2. Implements for the tractor. Recommendations on a bush hog and ANY other equipment I'll need for the food plots?
3. Next year's spring/fall planting. General times of the year (KY) to seed? If my goal is holding deer and increasing antler size/doe overall health what are recommendations on the food plots?
The soil is very fertile and had at one time grown quality tobacco but hasn't been raised in twenty years. The fields have simply been bush hogged and maintained for years on end w/ nothing specifically grown in them.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New At This. Any basic help?

You'll want soil tests for tobacco soil (acid) but the fact that they just bushhogged it and returned the nutrients is very good for you. Since you'll probably want to plant 10-20 acres and bushhog the rest anytractor (with PTO and 3 point hitch) in the 30 - 50HP range should fit the bill. Diesel is preferred for power and longevity.I wouldn't turn down MF, Ford or Kubota but there are many others equally good.The best bet is to see what is available and what local dealers can service it. There's nothing worse than not havingparts when you have a smalltimeframe for palnting, etc. Four wheel drive is nice in crappy conditions but you can make due with 2 wheel. I'd pick up an old 2 furrow plow and a disc harrow. An old corn seeder may be a good investment if you want to grow it. Other seed can be broadcast and worked in.You may want to fall plow to have the soil ready for planting early next spring. That's also a good time to work in lime if you need it.

Dan O.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan O's got the right advice.

I'd add that - a 5 year plan is a good idea. Its realistically tough to accomplish all you might wnat to do right away - and there is no sense rushing in.

I'd suggest centering you're food plots (or locating them on a sanctuary border) - and concentrate on those areas first.

I'd also suggest that when working towards new area development - to consider how the deer relate to the features - (eg. NE field corners can be Very Very hot in my area - and I work on the plots there first.). You want to consider this first before you improve the fields, or plant.

Next I'd write up a harvest plan. and distribute it to your freinds and family members - and invite their help and input.

Lastly - I'd ask alot of specific questions here and on other boards. - and share what I've learned - We all like to see how others have developed - and learn from their experiences.

For tractors - I'd suggest one over 50 HP - and would look at real farm equipment - not 4-wheeler attachments. They can work - but not usually well at the scale I'll bet you will take on.

FH

Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

My advice would be to read the archives that you find in this forum. Use the search feature when you have a specific question.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:49 AM

THE GUY HAD A QUESTION YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A BUTT NUGGET ABOUT IT. ANSWERS GUY !
Old 09-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations Wudayanuts!! This is a most exciting time for you. The research and planning are half the fun. I agree wholeheartedly with Dan O and farm hunter. I would add my comments to question #2 that you had regarding implements. I went through this as well not that long ago. When I was buying a tractor and implements, I wanted something I would be able to maintain and something that would not fall apart after a few years. As Dan O has pointer out, there are many good used tractors to choose from and diesel would be my first and only choice.

Inever really knew what brand implements I should buy if I was buying new. My first implement was a three point, 6' brush hog. I looked at many of the big name brands like Deere, but then talked with a few people who had bought the King Kutter brand that is available at Tractor Supply here in Michigan where I live. I really liked the heavy construction of it and so decided to give it a try.

My next implment was a three point, 6' tiller. I again researched it to death and was about to pull the trigger on one (can't remember the name) that makes tillers for Deere. But, then looked again at the King Kutter. It was literally half the price! I figured there must be something cheap about this thing. Bought it anyways. Well, I am very happy with it. It absolutely tills like mad andI think would do well in your soil (whichI know must be heavier than mine). The only complaint I had was the bolts on the side of the gear box. The vibration caused them to loosen up and leaked gear oil all over.I am hoping this will not be a chronic problem, but I will checck them early season every year.

I also bought a landscape rake (6' wide to cover the tractor tracks). Just bought the King Kutter brand again since this is not a major investment.The rakewill help you smooth out the tilled soil, remove clumps of sod or roots, and lightly cover or put your seed in contact with the soil.

A final option is a drag harrow which I pull behing my atv. This really levels the field and is the finishing touches on seedbed preparation. An old box spring will function almost as well. Hope this helps and Happy Hunting!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gonzodemon

THE GUY HAD A QUESTION YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A BUTT NUGGET ABOUT IT. ANSWERS GUY !
I don't know what got your underwear in a bunch or why you had to make this comment AND start a whole new thread announcing what a bad person I am.

Now if Wudayanuts was offended by my advice I would be more than willing to apologize to him but as to you...[>:].

For those who care; my advice to the thread starter was serious. Thereare tons of information that can be gleaned by going through these archives (change the 'display topics from last 30 days' to 'all topics' to access threads back to 2002).
Many questions that one might have are already answered and all one has to do is use the search to find those answers.

Have a great day!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:20 AM

If you are really serious about improving your deer herd and learning about QDM I suggest joining QDM, or purchasing the book Grow'em Right. There is lots of very good info. from both of these sources that cover much more than just food plots. I agree with Farm Hunter and Dan O. If you want some long lasting food plots try clover and alfalfa. Clover is also fairly easy to grow and maintain. If you want a good fall attractant give brassicas a try the deer love'em. Good luck, and keep learning!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board, first.
I would try to find a good used tractor in the 50 HP range. Having a local service dealership is a major plus. Go ahead and soil test in the areas you plan to plant. You will need a bushhog. I would invest in either a smaller offset disc or a bottomplow to turn the junk over. Then you will need a disc with an adjustable angle on the disc. You may want a broadcast seeder to put out the seed and fertilizer. Then you can either cut the seed under with the disc turned with no angle to them or use a chain drag harrow. Don't cover your grain seeds too deep. Lime as soon as possible to the recommended level as it takes several months to work. We always plant with the approach to the plotand predominant wind direction in mind related to the stand location.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Definately dont try to do it all at once, I did and nearly had a heat stroke LITERALLY!

Get a good game plan and follow that and that way you can change your mind ten million times like me!

Quick Reply: New At This. Any basic help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.