Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Max Shooting Distance >

Max Shooting Distance

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Max Shooting Distance

Old 03-29-2008, 08:24 AM

Default RE: Max Shooting Distance

30 yards maybe 35
Old 03-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Max Shooting Distance

Someone mentioned before that bowhunting is about getting closer, well 60 yards is pretty close compared to distances that alot of people shot animals with rifles. I am in no way saying its right to go out and start flinging arrows at critters no matter how far they are, but if you are comfortable and confident that you can put that arrow where it needs to be to get the job done its ok with me. I practice all the time at 50 and 60 yards, and feel very comfortable shooting a deer at those distances if the conditions are right. There are people out there that say its unethical and wrong to try shots at those distances but you cant please everyone. As far as equipment goes, if you have a bow set up producing at least60 foot pounds of KE you should be ok out to 50 yards. Keep in mind that there isnt such a thing as too much penetration when it comes to bowhunting. My set up is producing about 73 foot pounds of KE and performs fine at longer ranges. My wife shot a buck at 40 yards last season and had plenty of penetration and she is only producing about 35 foot pounds of KE. Everyone has their own maximum shooting distance and just remember that even though one guy can only shoot comfortably out to 40 doesnt mean you cant shoot out to 50 or 60 as long as you are comfortable with it.