shooting distance >

shooting distance

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

shooting distance

Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Spike

Default shooting distance

Hello to all. I got a newbe ? so take it easy on me.
I am new to crossbows and have a hard time understanding shooting distance.
If you are on the ground 20 yds= 60 feet
but if you are up a tree 15 ft and a deer 60 feet out that would=105 feet=35yds.
I try this tonight from my porch 10 feet up block at 50 feet out I use my setting for 20 yds because it looked like that and I was realy on but if you do the math it would be 40 yards ? What am I missing? I dont have the money for a range finder right now (still in school) so any advice. Thanks

Horton 150 carbon with fieldtip and single red dot scope.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: shooting distance

Hye partner..I still think 20 yds up a tree is still the same as 20 yds on the ground..I practiced alot this year from an older bow,,,my arrow stayed true on the mark no matter if I was in the ttree or on the ground..

IMHO Your arrow is still going 20 yds no matter if it's from the tree trunk or 15 feet up the trunk..
Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

You absolutely want to practice from a tree stand, or even your deck. At any given distance gravity has an effect on an arrow...when shooting from an angle, gravity has less of an effect. The reason is because the trajectory is determined by the horizontal distance the arrow travels, not the overall distance. When shooting at steep angles wether up or down, aiming for the exact distance could be a mistake, since measurement may actually be considerably larger than the horizontal distance. at steep angles, you must learn to compensate by aiming low.

It really is all gonna depend on how steep your angle is, if its downhill or up hill. If its a very small angle and not much of an incline or decline, you're gonna be okay with using the pin you have. Just keep that in mind while shooting downhill from a treestand.

i hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM

well...i worked it out using the pythagorean theorem and i believe that it would pretty much be the same... maybe just a few feet more.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bamafan95

well...i worked it out using the pythagorean theorem and i believe that it would pretty much be the same... maybe just a few feet more.
I use GOOGLE
Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 PM

That works too... But i am just good at math so math seemed easier.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM

i have used the pathagorean theorem as well and it always worked pretty close for me but the best piece of advice that you can get in my opinion is to know if you are shooting at and angle down with a bow you will tend to shoot a bit higher at 20 yds than on the ground at twenty but not but much . Same for shooting up hill, you will shoot lower than normal due to the angle and by a little as well. just aim just a slight bit lower or higher and you should hit right on the mark but a couple of inches isnt goin to make two much difference unless you are shooting a farther yard in which the inches increase a little. But a2+b2=c2 will usually work quite well if worked out correctly. just dont forget to take the square root of c at the end. 16 yrds is 48 ft, squared is 2304, 15 feet up in the tree squared is 225, so 2305+225 = 2529 and square root it is 16.7 which only elongates you by .7 yrds and at that theres gonne be virtually no difference in shooting. just the farther distances that will make any difference. prolly no real affect until you go to about 40 yrds. Just put that problem on there just so you can see if maybe you done something wrong, not that you did or anything but it has always worked for me.