Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrows fletching >

Arrows fletching

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrows fletching

Old 02-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Arrows fletching

Hi all,
I'm trying to understand something in the BIG world of archery!

What's the difference between fletching helical / offset / straight? I know it's a matter of angle in the fletching, but what's the difference in the flight of the arrow?
Which one is the best...and why?

I know that if I putan angle in the vanes, the arrow will spin more than a straight fletching. But why some of you prefer straight fletching or anykind of ways to put the vanes (or feathers) on the shaft?

I hope that you can understand my question[X(]

Thanks

Francis

Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Default RE: Arrows fletching

Well, I'm not expert, but I'll share what I think i know

Helical = better stabilization, work best for broadheads. More drag (because of more spinning) so lower down range trajectory. Strong helicals may not clear some rests easily (this point is null if you shoot a drop away).

Straight = less stabilization, but better down range trajectory. Will clear any rest easily.

Offset = a compromise of the two I would say, but that's about as far into as I can get.

This isn't very in depth, but I think what I said above is a good rule of thumb for each.

As for me, I use straight fletch. I want the down range trajectory for my 3D shoots, which is mainly why I shoot a bow. Plus, I never have a problem with broadhead flight with them. Since I mainly use field points I don't need a lot of stabilization.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Straight-offset or helical is absolutely vital to spin the arrow with broadheads. Helical is best, always.Helical does slow the arrow down more so gives the arrow a little more arc, but not noticably so at normal hunting distances. Weight of the arrow and momentum will affect this more. Lighter arrow slows down quicker, but again, not noticably so at normal hunting distances.

Straight fletching is OK for target or 3D any time broadheads are not being used, but again, slight offset or helical has proven to be better.

The type of fletching, staright-offset or helical, is not quite as important as proper arrow spine and FOC. Actually a combination of all three should be considered for best accuracy. Then proper bow/arrow tuning. The better a bow is tuned the less work any fletching has to do.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Thanks guys!

Francis