Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bareshaft tune question. >

Bareshaft tune question.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bareshaft tune question.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bareshaft tune question.

Ok guys here is whats up. I started a bare shaft tune with my Marquis. 66#s, 29" DL , shooting Beman MFX 340shafts cut at 28 1/2". With 125 gr headsthe bareshafts were impacting about 6" right and low. I changed to a 100gr fieldpoint and got rid of the weak spine indication. Now the arrows were hitting about 6" low. I moved my nocking point down a bit at a time until the bare shafts were hitting with fletched arrows at 20 yds. at 20 these groups were tight, one bareshaft I shot took the Blazer off a fletched arrow. When I stepped back to 30 the bare shaft started hitting about4-6" low again. Whats up? Do I leave it how it is? I'm shooting great groups at 30. Should I leave well enough alone or can I successfully tune the bare shafts to hit with the fletched shafts at all distances?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bareshaft tune question.

You could go either way, depends on how "tuned" you want to be. Tune out the difference at 30 even 40 if you want. Or leave it alone and shoot your fletched arrows. Myself, I would get rid of the difference out to about 40 and then I would walk back tune to 30-40 and see how the arrows hit. Then I would check the groups out to about 40. If you tune it with the bareshaft out to 40 then you may not have to make any more adjustments.

You could also adjust your DW down a pound or two. That is what I do before moving the rest, adjust the DW as much as reasonable to get rid of the stiff or weak arrow.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go ahead and change the nocking point again. Don't forget, the farther out you go and make adjustmentss the finer those adjustments should be. 6" at 30 yards with a bare shaft might only mean 1/32" at the nocking point. It doesn't take much.

Then go back to 20 yards and see how it affected the POI there. Worse comes to worse you make your own judgement as to which you want to go with. Then try broadheads at both distances alng with target points. When you have it just so-so you should almost be able to shoot broadheads on a bare shaft out to 30 yards and have no planing. This is tough, and really not recommended by most, but you're playing, right?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I'm mostly playing at this point. FWIW broadheads and FPs are impacting the same out to 45. I think this bow is tuned quite well but if I don't play around I won't learn what it will do.