Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow tune question >

Bow tune question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow tune question

Old 02-22-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Bow tune question

I replaced the strings on my bow now the Ata is off 1/2 inch(long). I have put quite a few twist in the buss cable allready, should I put twists in the bowstring too?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:04 PM

Default RE: Bow tune question

1/2 inch is really pretty long. i don't think your going to be able to get that out no matter what you do. even if your string wasn't twisted at all, twisting it 20 times wouldn't get 1/2" out. what length are each supposed to be? sounds like you need to take them both off the bow and measure them. either one or both are way to long.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the ATA is long then the brace height has to be lower. And how was the peak weight of the bow. It certainly changed also. Most likely it's a lot less. When measuring strings and cables off the bow (not under stress) they will measure about 1/2" shorter than specs.

But the one thing about twisting rigging is that if you only twist the cable all you are doing is back-rollong the cam, increasing the drawlength, and increasing the weight in the process. To get the ATA you desire you have to twist both the string and the cable while trying to maintain the proper drawlength. But as gibblet said, 1/2" in ATA is quite a bunch.

And how do you know the ATA is long? Did you actually measure it when the bow was fairly new? You can't rely on measurements with old rigging on them. This stuff has stretched out. OR are you using factory specs? These often vary from bow to bow and are not absolute values but guidelines to follow.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:25 AM

I decided to take the strings off and measure them, the buss cable is over 1/2 long, the bowstring over 1/4 long. That stinks. Time for a customer service call.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowshopper--please don't tell me it's a custom string bought here in Canada--?
Have been seeing a few of these and it sure as H*ll spoils your day.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

But the one thing about twisting rigging is that if you only twist the cable all you are doing is back-rollong the cam, increasing the drawlength, and increasing the weight in the process.
think you got it backwards about the drawlength there bg

and if you hook an end loop on a hook, pull on it while measuring it just enough to get it taught, it will most certainly not measure 1/2" short of its true length.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:43 AM

I ordered a set of vapor Trail strings. When comparing them to the winners choice and original zebras the are visibly longer. If you put alot of twist in a buss cable that is not served at the Y then it really chokes up on the idler wheel .
As far as my bow specs, whenever I purchase a new bow, before it is shot I measure all the specs and mark the cam timing and write all the info down.
On an Outback the Bh varies from each DL but the ata needs to be pretty much dead on
The quality of the strings are impressive. I am sure it is something that will be taken care of with a call to customer service.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:05 AM

A new set of strings is on the way. The bowstring is supposed to be 90 3/8. The original zebras and winners choice only measured 89 7/8, 1/2 inch short.
The new string will be 90 3/8. What difference will it make spec wise?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowshopper, I would return the string to the place purchased and demand the CORRECT string.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you're on the right track now. See, you didn't need as much help here as you thought. You're doing your homework. Good for you.

Quick Reply: Bow tune question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.