Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 frayed bow string... excuse the lingo >

frayed bow string... excuse the lingo

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

frayed bow string... excuse the lingo

Old 02-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default frayed bow string... excuse the lingo

First off, congrats to the website d00ds on the new forums, these look great!

Alright, my frayed bow string. I have a PSE Whitetail Extreme, it has a v shaped arrow rest (and this is where you' ll have to excuse the lingo because I' m new and do not know all the names of the pieces on the bow). The arrow rest appears to be as far left as I can take it (this is a right handed bow) and I was told when I bought the bow that because of the v shaped rest that I add to place the arrow odd color down so that it would fly between the V rest. So my problem is that not the bow string that you pull, but one of the that are attached to the " bar" that comes off of the bow towards the person, ya know the one with a little bend in it? Well one of those strings gets rubbed by the fletching on my arrows and it' s starting to fray.

The only thing that I' ve noticed looking at my bow and my brother' s bow (who does not have this problem) is that the arm that comes off of the bow (it' s got a bend in it and so does mine) on his the bend curves directly to the right taking those strings further away from the arrow' s fletching and therefore doesn' t get touched. On mine, the arm that comes off the bow has the same bend but it curves at a slant to the upper right. Is this the problem or have I missed it all together?? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: frayed bow string... excuse the lingo

Let me help you out a bit with some of the terminology first. The " arm with the bend in it" is called a cable guard rod. Those " strings" that are on the rod are actually a cable and a string. The PSE Whitetail Extreme is a conventional Solocam bow so you will notice that the bowstring circles around the round idler wheel on the top limb and then crosses the cable guard rod before connecting to the single cam on the bottom limb. The other " string" is a cable that connects the single cam on the bottom limb to the top limb of the bow via the axle that runs through the idler wheel.

Now, if I remember correctly, the cable guard rod on your bow can be adjusted to push the cable and return string out farther away from your arrow thus eliminating the fletching contact you reported. In order to do this you are going to first need to move the return string and cable off of the cable guard so that there isn' t any tension on the cable guard rod itself.

Then you need to find the cable guard rod lock down screw that is screwed into the riser right where the cable guard enters the riser. The " riser" is the bow' s handle. It is that part of the bow that connects the two limbs. Once you find that screw you can loosen it and then the cable guard rod will become loosened. At this point you need to reposition the cable guard rod so that it pushes the cable and return string out farther away from your arrow.

Once you do this then you will need to tighten that screw back up and place the cable slide with cable and return string back on the " outside" of the cable guard rod as they were originally positioned.

That should remedy your problem.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:33 AM

Bscofield,

You could have a couple of problems. First your arrow rest may not be centered correctly and secondly the cable guard may not be set right. My advice to you is to visit an archery proshop and get some help. It sounds like your bow needs some tuning. Since you appear to be fairly new to the sport, this is the best advice that I can offer at this time.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help & replies. I do not have a bow ' compressor' to take the tension off of the strings and cables... So I will have to take it in for now, but I appreciate the info. because I plan on acquiring the skills and equipment to do this myself soon. What if I told you that the plastic piece that attaches the string and cable to the cable guard faced the bow string and arrow. PABowHunter you had said that it should be on the outside but this is what I would call the ' inside' . Is that backwards?