Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need Help with the lingo >

Need Help with the lingo

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need Help with the lingo

Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 AM

Default Need Help with the lingo

Sorry if this has been presented (or asked) before, but I need help with all the acronymns and abbreviations that are being tossed around on the forums. Is there a resource or place to go to learn what they all mean or stand for?

Just a few of the many examples would be A2A, ATA, IMO, BL, CL, SL, AMO, IBO, and on and on, and on....

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need Help with the lingo

I do not know of webpage that gives you the definitions but I can help with some of them. Others I would need to see what context they are used in.

A2A = Axle to Axle length of the bow

ATA = Could be same as above or Archery Trade Association

IMO = In My Opinion

AMO = What the ATA was called in past years. Archery Manufacturers Organization. Also refers to a specific way of rating the speed on a given bow. The short of it is a 60 pound draw weight, 540 grain arrow and a 30 inch draw length.

IBO = International Bowhunters Organization but also generally refers to another way or rating speed on a given bow. Again, the short of it is a 70 pound draw weight, 30 inch draw length and a 350 grain arrow. Sometimes some manufacturers also use the term to loosely refer to any bow shot with an arrow that weighs 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

I have no clue, without a proper context for BL, SL, CL.

Hope this helps.