Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 in for any distance question in pin yardage >

in for any distance question in pin yardage

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

in for any distance question in pin yardage

Old 12-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Default in for any distance question in pin yardage

Im thinkin bout gettin new sights and i want just 3 pins but i was wondering if i could sight my first pin in at 20, and then 30, and then 40 for 3 pens. can i use the 20 yard pin for any distance under 20 yards???

thanks caleb
Old 12-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: in for any distance question in pin yardage

Just hold a bit low for anything under 20. You'll have to shoot a little at the shorter distances to see exactly how much low to hold for something like 10 yards, but it's no problem. Just acouple inches or so, even with a slow bow. It's called "getting to know your trajectory."
Old 12-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way to find out is to "just do it". There really isn't any reason to have a pin less than 20 yards with today's equipment. If your setup produces fairly normal velocities as most of today's bows you can set the first pin for 20 yards and only be hitting about 1" to 1 1/2" high at 10 yards. That the difference between holding the center of a bullseye and the bottom of it for practice.

Do it and see what you get. Then practice, as Arthur says. It's really a no-brainer.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 AM

If you hunt from a tree stand or elevated location you may want to test your sights and form before you hunt to make any need adjustments.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

everyone has gave you good suggestions...i would also say based on your bow being a 55# you will need to aim a little low at with that for shorter yardages...but, like they said..just try it..best way to find out
Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 PM

I shoot relatively slow by todays standards. I shoot a 450 grn arrow at around 200 fps. I do not use a 10 yard pin. My pins are 20, 30, 40 and so on.

Now my girlfriends bow shoots under 200 fps and she isn't real good yet, so we actually set her up to shoot at 10 yards. She doesn't use a multiple pin sight though, she uses and adjustable target sight.

Paul
Old 01-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

My 20 yard pin is 1" high when used/shot at 10 yards.

Like AP said, practice so you know.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a single pin adjustable....I move my site during the heat of the moment...I have had bad experiences with mutiple pins....I like to be percise with my shots...so when I use my range finder and the deer is 33 yards...I like to have the exact adjustment rather then laying my 30 yard pin high.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like most folks, I have my pins set on even 10-yard increments, from 20 to 60 in my case. What I do for shots that are in those 'between' yardages, I visualize 10 increments between the bracketing pins. Say the target is 33 yards. I visualize my 10 increments and count up 3 with the 30 pin to get my holdover. If it's 37 yards, I count down 3 with my 40 pin and hold under. If it's 35 yards, you just split the difference and bracket the target.

How well and how quickly you can do it depends entirely on how much you practice, but one can be very precise with it. Shooting in the fixed pins classes, I have made Top Gun flight several times at local shoots, up amongst the open class shooters with their adjustable sights. It's kept me from winning a fewtournaments where they flight by score rather than by equipment, but who wants to be the best of the worst when they can be up with the best of the best?

The only shots you really need to learn the aim pointfor are those that are less than 15 yards.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

As everyone has said the only way to really find out where to aim is to shoot it. Aim right at the spot for the shorter targets and that will tell how much lower you will have to aim at any given distance. For an instance , on the NFAA Birdie shot , they are shot from 35 ft, 30 ft, 25 ft, and 20 ft, one arrow from each distance. On the 35 ft shot I aim at the bottom of spot. For the 30 and 25 ft shot I aim dead on but for the 20 ft. I have to split my 20 and 30 yard pins. Now if you really want to get close shot , shoot from say 6 ft away. We have had a 3-D target set that close and you would be suprised how many people didnt know how to shoot one that close. For a target that close I have to use my 60 yard pin.