Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Yardage Question for Omega owners.... ? >

Yardage Question for Omega owners.... ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Yardage Question for Omega owners.... ?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Yardage Question for Omega owners.... ?

I have a question... I sighted my Omega in dead center at 100yards. By the time I got there my shoulder felt like it was broke! Also had to leave the range. Dad went along and was ready to head to home. I have 4 days till firearms opens, and will prolly use the ML opening day. I am shooting 250gr shockwaves with 2- 50gr 777 pellets. Where do your groups hit at say 50yds and 150yds?(sighted at 100)I just wanted a ballpark figure. I figure I'll be ok for 50-150 but would rather hear it from others. Can hold over or under if I need to. Just don't want a wounded deer. And the Omegas new, so I'm not real use to it yet. And prolly won't get any more range time by then. Thanks for any info!!

chris
Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Yardage Question for Omega owners.... ?

http://biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

Go and plug your numbers into this. Your BC is .210, the bullet weight is of course 250, the diameter is .452, and muzzle velocity should be around 1850. This will give you a general idea of the drop and rise at the different distances you indicate. Of course that will still not be as accurate as a day at the range. Perhaps a Simms recoil pad might save your shoulder in the future. Good luck and good shooting.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! I will check it out. I think I'm going to invest in that Simms recoil pad. It has a fairly thick one it came with but still bruised mt shoulder up pretty good. That thing kicks worse than my TC Carbine!!!!

chris
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I have heard a lot of good things about that Simms Recoil Pad helping take the bite out of rifles. I do not use them, but I am not too recoil sensitive.. Plus I seldom shoot magnum loads. That calculator I posted is very accurate most the time it seems from what I have noticed on the range.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

According to the chart 0 - 100 I will be ok.

150 yrds I will be 4.5" low. So I'll have to aim 4 1/2" high.
Does that sound right?
The only problem is the only range anywhere close to where I live is 25/50/100 yards.
I guess I'll just try to keep my shots under 100yrds. Shouldn't need more than that anyways. Where I live and hunt.
I also have see through rings, but the iron sights are adjusted all the way down and hit at about 75yds!! lol
Oh, well I should be alright 100yrds and under. With the bullet still climbing 0 - 100 should be ok. thanks

chris
Old 11-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks alot... That'saboutwhat I was figuring. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

chris
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter46755

Thanks! I will check it out. I think I'm going to invest in that Simms recoil pad. It has a fairly thick one it came with but still bruised mt shoulder up pretty good. That thing kicks worse than my TC Carbine!!!!

chris
I have a Simms for my Savage and they work really really well. As for signting in, sight in 3" high at 100 yards and your shooting thru a 6" pipe from 0 out to 175 with the 250g SW. This is called Maximum Point Blank Range. Best Wishes with getting your file and shoulder tuned. Chap Gleason
Old 11-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckhunter46755

I ran the numbers on my Barnes calculator - I came up with different numbers than you did - I think... These charts have in the past been pretty close for me.

Guess that really shows you why you should shoot the round at those ranges....

I'll post two of these the first one shows your sight in of "dead on" @ 100 yards...

The second is what I normally do... I say that there is a 6" window that I need the bullet to get into - "POINT BLANK RANGE" if I sight in at the point blank range i can hold the scope right on and expect to 3" above/below where I am holding - takes some of the guess work out of the problem...

This might come in to small - if it does I will edit it...

Old 11-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckhunter46755

Here is another one zeroed at "point blank range" - I think it takes a lot of guess work out of the equation...

Old 11-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Buckhunter46755

I ran the numbers on my Barnes calculator - I came up with different numbers than you did - I think... These charts have in the past been pretty close for me.

Guess that really shows you why you should shoot the round at those ranges....

I'll post two of these the first one shows your sight in of "dead on" @ 100 yards...

The second is what I normally do... I say that there is a 6" window that I need the bullet to get into - "POINT BLANK RANGE" if I sight in at the point blank range i can hold the scope right on and expect to 3" above/below where I am holding - takes some of the guess work out of the problem...

This might come in to small - if it does I will edit it...

SL, You used a BC of .25, whereas Cayugad said the BC is .21. Not sure which value is right for an unbonded SW, but .25 is kinda high for a 250g ML bullet. Chap

Quick Reply: Yardage Question for Omega owners.... ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.