Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 2 Basic Tune Questions.. >

2 Basic Tune Questions..

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2 Basic Tune Questions..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2 Basic Tune Questions..

1. I have heard that you are supposed to set the rest height so that the bottom of the arrow is vertically inline with the centre of the threaded hole (rest attachment) and I have been told that the centre of the arrow should be aligned with the centre of the threaded hole.. Not sure which is correct..

Also:

2. When setting the knock position, what is the reason why the knock should be 1/4" higher than the pefect horizontalposition? Is this to accommodate the knock? Or is there another reason..

Thank you very much, just learning.. Used to get my archery centre to tune my bow, but I am now wanting to do it..

Cheers.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 2 Basic Tune Questions..

and I have been told that the centre of the arrow should be aligned with the centre of the threaded hole.. Not sure which is correct..
I tend to follow this thread and have been doing so for many years.

When setting the knock position, what is the reason why the knock should be 1/4" higher than the pefect horizontalposition? Is this to accommodate the knock? Or is there another reason..
This is a good starting point for setting nock height. Actual nock height is going to vary depending on your individual setup. Such issues as cam style, rest tension/style, arrow spine, etc... are all going to play a part.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks PABowhunter..

Just to clarify, centre of the arrow in-line with the centre of the threaded hole.. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, your arrow shaft should pass squarely over the rest mounting hole.

On a few rare occasions I have had to set the arrow higher but only because of a lack of fletching clearance. That should not be an issue with any of the modern compound bows.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you very much PABowhntr
Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM

Hoyt bows with fall away rests often tend to shoot well if the bottom of the arrow is about centered with the Berger hole. With other rests, though, or other bows, middle of the arrow going right across the middle of the hole is a good starting place. I also like to start with the center of the arrow about .780 from the shelf, as a good starting place for horizontal adjustment. I am not sure as to the exact reason for the recommended nocking point being a little above square; but I have always had to be a little above this point to get the bow to tune properly.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

I am using a Whisker Biscuit..