Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Some basic questions? >

Some basic questions?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Some basic questions?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Some basic questions?

I'm getting ready to start working on an english project. The assigment is to write a set of instructions. This is for "Technical English".

1. What's the term I'm looking for when I'm saying there are two type of bow 'shelfs'. The traditions that the arrow has to 'bend' around and the modern 'center-shot' shelfs in the risers of compounds and modern recurves?

2. Are there any areas of tuneing or bow-setup that you feel are commonly ignored? (this paper will deal with mechanical release aided bows with the 'center-shot' shelfs)
Old 04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some basic questions?

1. There are 2 types of "risers"
The standard is just called a "standard riser" I believe.
The center shot is usually called a "cut-out" riser. Since there is a wide variety of how much is cut out. If you want you can talk about diff types of cut-out risers. i.e. Just a standard cut-out or a center shot.

2. The correct weight for the tip is usally always overlooked. People want to shoot 85 or 100 gr tips no matter what when a 125 gr tip might be what they need to stabilize the arrow properly. Also, all spinestiffnesses are not the same for your equipment and set-up. You may have to go with a stiffer spine weight for a heavier tip. It's just not all about what draw length and poundage.

Proper form is almost always overlooked. you may be able to take my bow and tune it perfectly. However, if I smack the trigger on my release or torque the bow it will not shoot as well as it did for you.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Very good points. I've tried to talk about FOC to some buddies of mine. I just get weird looks. lol

And I plan on putting a couple disclaimers throughout the piece, one of which is definantly the "Hey, if you've got the perfect bow but YOU shoot like dirt....you're gonna dirt-poor groups." In a little more diplomatic tone, of course.

Alright, proper arrow setup. CHECK

Anymore?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think release style is over looked. calipers to a hook will exert different forces on the realease and the bow will need to be tuned differently.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:27 PM

Oh crap, are we talkin about a difference between the calipers being directly on the bowstring vs. calipers grasping a loop?

I was unaware of this. And will have to research alittle to see if it is worth mentioning

I want it to be very very thorough but still aimed towards Mr. Tommy-bought-his-first-bow.