Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Basic questions I can't answer >

Basic questions I can't answer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Basic questions I can't answer

Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Basic questions I can't answer

What is the difference between 2f and 3f triple seven powder?

Are all 209 primers created equally or should I gear toward a certain one (encore pro hunter)?

Does 2 - 50 gr pellets of triple seven "fire" differently than 100 gr of loose triple seven?

---Thanks again, sorry for the rookie ?'s but I'm trying to get up to speed quickly.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Basic questions I can't answer

ORIGINAL: Hammer49

Are all 209 primers created equally or should I gear toward a certain one (encore pro hunter)?

Does 2 - 50 gr pellets of triple seven "fire" differently than 100 gr of loose triple seven?

---Thanks again, sorry for the rookie ?'s but I'm trying to get up to speed quickly.
the difference between 2f & 3f is the size of the grain. The 3f are finer in size then 2f. Also they produce a little more barrel pressure, and some claim faster ignition although I do not see any difference in ignition time.

All 209 primers are not alike. Some are hotter then others. In many rifles the hottest is not always the most desired. Especially when shooting Triple Se7en because of the crud rings that can form. Some Remington Kleenbore Primers, Winchester Triple Se7en primers, or Winchester W209 would work just fine in your rifle with pellets.

2 fifty grain pellets are not equal in strength to 100 grains by volume of Triple Se7en powder. 85 grains of the loose Triple Se7en would be APPROXIMATELY equal in a perfect world to 2 pellets to produce the same velocity. I find it closer to 90 grains actually. When shooting loose powder a magnum load is 120 grains of loose powder as most figure.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hammer49

3f has finer granuals than 2f - it was passed through a tighter screen. 3f burns and rises to peak pressure faster than 2f and it also burns out quicker. Velocity produced by both powders is close to the same. Both powders will create more pressure and more velocity than the same, by volume, measure of most BP's or Pyros. Hodgdon esitmates the difference is up to 15%. I personally think it might be more like or a littel less10% on average. The big thing is to understand it does creat greater pressure in the breech.

No they are not - some burn a lot hotter than others...

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical3.html

Yes it does... 2 50 grain pellets of T7 are closely equal to the equivilent of 100 grains of BP or a Pyro... 100 grains of loose T7 is more equal to 110 to 115 grains of BP or Pyro.

Hope this helps answer your questions

Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad - would you recommend the same primers with loose 777? I will most likely use loose powder. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Cayugad - would you recommend the same primers with loose 777? I will most likely use loose powder. Thanks!
With loose powder I shoot the Remington Kleenbore Primers and have excellent results. When I shoot pellets or 2f APP I shoot the Winchester W209. One primer I avoid is the Winchester WML209.I can not prove it, but I felt they were responsible for the damage to my Black Diamond XR breech plug tension spring. I feel they were too hot.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Last question today...promise...but how do I "search" for your post on breaking in a barrel? I've tried it a couple different ways with no success. I truly appreciate all of your help!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:15 PM

take it out and go shooting. Best way to break in a barrel.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Best way to break in a new barrel is clean it real well and shoot it. Many of the new rifles require little to no break in time. If the bore is ruff, then some J-B Bore Paste and it will smooth things out for you.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

See this for velocity of differnt forms of 777. Chap Gleason