Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow rest ?

Old 01-07-2003, 06:33 AM

Default Arrow rest ?

I am asking this question based off of Loonar's qeustion about helical flecthing. I had been thinking of goin that route and after reading all the responses to Loonars question I have decided to try it out as well. But, clearance was brought up and that is my concern. I currently have a cobra rest that has just the right amount of clearance for straight vanes, so if I go to helical then I know I will have problems, any suggestions? And I have also thought of going to a whisker but got concerns, like the ends where the arrow sits. Weat and tear, wont those ends start to "booger up" after while or do they last pretty good? And last, what are your all's thought on the half whiskers? Much thanks in advance,
Smoky
Old 01-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow rest ?

Muzzy zerro effect , or trophy taker shakey hunter depending on what bow you own .

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place
Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM

I shot a whisker biscuit for a year. hunted with it and killed a deer with it on the bow. But was never truly satisified with the arrow flight. Had trouble with the vanes at first but then learned to dot the ends with glue and they would stay on better but after awhile, say a couple of hundred shots it seemed as though one would always come off. Had better luck with feathers. Don't know about the half biscuit. I went to a Muzzy Zero Effect last spring and haven't had to refletch as much. They still do get messed up though but its because of hitting the other arrows. I find that the MZE holds the arrow in place and it was always there when it needed to be, like the biscuit did. Any drop away should give you the clearance you are looking for. The MZE and mirage both cradle an arrow very well and work out well in the actually hunting scenario.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It certainly is nice NOT having to worry about fletch clearence. I shoot a Mirage Fallaway and love it. This rest has been an excellent performer for me, both on the range and in the field.

If it's a containment system you want, I suggest you check out the GKF Shoot Out. This rest has become a very popular favorite around this area. I see many of these rest being set-up on bows that previously held Whisker Biscuits. The Shoot Out has many advatages over the WB and one of the main issues is NO fletch wear or damage with the Shoot Out. It is a very simple and rugged rest that is as easy to tune as ANY rest you will find. The virgin Teflon tipped posts are very quiet and allow for minimum speed loss. You won't have to worry about the whiskers wearing or any negative effects of weather on the hair-like bristles.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:39 PM

a few good rest that will give you what you need are as follows.

Fall Aways
Golden Premier Fall Away
Mirage
Power Drop
Trophy Taker
Muzzy
NAP QuickTunes

Standard Rests
GKF Royal Hunter (can get a good amount of helical through those arms)
Shoot Out
BoDoodles (they can allow a good amount of helical also)

Check them all out & see what you like.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are many good rests that will allow you to shoot helical fletchings, even on the ICS type carbons. standard rests I have had great luck with the Golden key Rover or bodoodle prolite. In a drop away the Muzzy zero effect is great, and the new Powerdrop from golden key looks like it's going to be a winner. The Wisker Bisquit is a love it hate kind of rest. It can be very effective, but you have to be willing to change your vane brand or style and use those that work well with it. I am liking the WB more and more for a hunting rest, but it is no where near perfect. As for the Half bisquits, I am sure it will work. I assume you mean the new one Alpine is putting out?

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS