Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop >

How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Default RE: How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

Great post Greg!!! You need to give yourself one of those antler award things......Nicely done.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good point on being able to cut the loop off and retie when needed, and one we often neglect to mention. Case in point... I tied the one below just a smidgeon too short; my release head just barely fits in behind the nock without making contact, and I don't feel comfortable leaving such little hookup room while on stand as I'm watching a deer approach... This pic demonstrates how short of a loop you can get using this method, though. I'll be retying this one later -- but with the nocksets already in place, it'll take just a couple minutes.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wouldn't it be a smart idea to tack this to the top of the forum, at least until opening day? It's about time for the newbies and seasonal shooters to start showing up and asking questions. We're sure to be having to go back and digging through the archives to find this thread if you don't.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:28 AM

quite an effort and demonstration greg.

i want to ask a tied in nocking pt question. when i went to shooter school larry was shooting a hoyt wheelie bow - wheel and a half. he had 1 tied in nocking pt above the arrow nock and none below. i was shooting a single cam bow and had 1 tied in below my nock and none above (or vice versa - i don't remember). i asked him about it because i figured i'd messed up- i mean he is larry wise.he told me a cam or wheel.5 bow generally prefers one tied in pt either above or below - a single cam is the opposite - and a dually you use both - in general - but its best to experiment and see which of the 3 options your bow likes. thing is, i'm only 80% sure he had his on top and mine was on bottom. does anyone know, heard this, or have the theory behind it? (and willing to explain). i think i understand why its that way - but i'm not sure.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, John

I could only guess as to why certain nockset configurations work best with different cam styles.. I'm wondering if dual nocksets would help the arrow leave more "square" on bows preferring the arrow to be level from a tune standpoint like Bowtech. Since Mathews shooters usually start with an 1/8" above center (if I remember correctly), maybe that's why just a single nockset would be more advantageous... Again, just a guess.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM

i think that's exactly it greg. its what thecam system isdoing to cause the nock travel that determines where it needs to be.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

John,

I have used the dual nockset with the bottom one being longer for quite a while on everything from nitrous cams, to single cams, to binaries. I really like this best because it can put just a bit of down pressure on the arrow to keep it planted on the blade (target applications), and it keeps the release inline with the arrow. I really hate nock pinch, and have seen some drastic arrow flight problems caused by it.

I do think this year that on whatever bow I will be shooting for indoors season I will probably try a release rope again and no loop. There are some significant advantages to this on a target specific rig using a sear style thumb trigger or hinge.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 AM

yes, advantages, go on please...
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

yes, advantages, go on please...
You ever shoot your hinge off a release rope? Try it sometime............every hinge I have ever shot was sooooo much smoother off a release rope than a loop.

I also think a lot of thumb style sear type releases break at different amounts of load on the trigger whenshot off a loop depending on exact positioning of the release and angle it is when the trigger is being loaded. Again this is purely speculation on my part and I have no data but I have discussed this in depthwith some of the local pro level shooters and all of us seem to agree. I guess I should get the digitalscale out at work and play with this a bit. Anyhow, itseems to be MUCH more consistent and smoother off the release rope. I have heard of some of the local pros cleaning up some high/low shots by going to this and most of the guys locally that are 59x+ average shooters are shooting release rope instead of a loop. It also reduces any unconsistent torque being applied to the string.........people think a loop prevents this and it is better than shooting a release straight off the string...............but a string loop does it even more so.........this could potentially also clear up some of those arrows that feel like perfect shots but miss the X ring right/left.

Disadvantages for me to using a release rope instead of a loop are that I already have a VERY low peep height (just about 5" on the slayer) and if I am going to make 90 meters for FITA a rope under is going to decrease that nock to peep distance and make it tougher to get that yardage out of a bow. Whatever bow I am shooting for indoor season this year will more than likely be setup using release rope initially though depending on what release I am using at that point.

I am shooting the Evolution on my fita/field archery bow right now and I really really wish that release would allow for me to shoot a release rope, so for now I am stuck with a loop on that bow. I know that a loop DOES affect when this specific release breaks depending on what angle the release is being held when pulling.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 AM

Greg,

Great tutorial! I can't wait to try it out. Wherecan I findBCY Nock Point Tying Thread? Also, what do you recommend for someone who isre-tuning their bow and may need to adjust the nock point several times before they lock it into place? Seems like it would be a pain tokeep tying and untyingthe nock points on every time I need to make an adjustment.

Thanks again!
-Rob

Quick Reply: How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.