Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop >

How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

Old 07-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

You need to shorten your draw length...[8D]
My nock falls directly under my eye, just like the pros teach... thank you very much! Just because you 26" guys are jealous of us 29"ers... [8D]

Thanks guys for the kind words; you're right, MeanV... that's why even though I've thought of doing this for a while, it took so long for me to finally pull the trigger on actually doing it. Hopefully this one will help people as much as my other instructional threads have.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg - I like the way you tied it -such that it minimizes pinch and doesn't cut too much off of the draw length. Good for short ATA bows, and good for conserving as much draw length (speed) as possible.

Lots of the shops around here like to tie loops with 3/4"+ of slack in them, and guys are having them installed, then they can't figure out how my draw length is so long (I don't use a loop), and wonder where all their speed went. [:-]

Good point on the draw length too.Seems likea lot of guys are quickto presume that you're too stretched out (for whatever number of reasons). Between that trend, and the number of guys tying 1" long loops, it seems like everybody and their brother is down to a 27-28" actual draw these days.

One future tutorial that I could use: How to tie a tie-nock. I know there's a certain cross-over knot that you're supposed to use, but Iinvariably screw it up, and it comes unwound.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bump
Old 07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good stuff Greg. You promised and came through. That took some time, I'm sure. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:58 PM

You are a champion. Excellent instruction.

Question for you though...why the nocksets? I understand the loop...I use one but, don't understand the nocksets. To avoid nock pinch?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Instead of Tying Thread...could you use BCY 62 or Poly?
I don't see any reason you couldn't try... The great thing about "becoming independent" -- as bloodcreek stated -- is you can just tear it down and rebuild it if it doesn't work out the way you want.

Question for you though...why the nocksets? I understand the loop...I use one but, don't understand the nocksets. To avoid nock pinch?
midwest, you can definitely locate your nocksets so that you do avoid nock pinch... Just as importantly to me is the ability to use them as "placeholders" so that my release hooks up onto the loop exactly behind my arrow nock. Combine the two benefits, and I won't tie on a loop without them anymore.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Question for you though...why the nocksets?
Not only does it help with release alignment as Greg mentioned, it also allows you to virtually eliminate any nock pinch and custom tailor each set to the exact nock style you are using without fear of that loop pressure changing.

Another benefit I see seldom mentioned.......if your loop wears or needs replacing to fine tune anchor etc the nock sets already have your tune built in without need to re-find your exact nock set. You can simply cut off the old loop and retie a brand new one without worrying about changing a thing with respect to nock height or nock fit.
good stuff.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

One future tutorial that I could use: How to tie a tie-nock. I know there's a certain cross-over knot that you're supposed to use, but Iinvariably screw it up, and it comes unwound.
Are you talking about how to serve? When you refer to a "cross-over knot", I'm assuming you're talking about the back wrap that's done at the end of the serving to finish it off clean?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 PM

I'm sorry but the point of the dental floss is to bring the tag ends down under the wraps to make the nock sets more secure?

One other thing. Does it have to be Mint dental floss? ...j/k

Another great how-to thread Greg! We need to sticky all your how-to's if not done so already.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pushing that tag end through the loop of dental floss and then pulling it back under the wraps you just created is the only thing that will complete the knot. If you don't do that, there's nothing to keep the wraps there; it will just unravel or unwind as soon as you let it go with your fingers. The first time you do it, you'll see...

I prefer this method to the one which Big John mentioned right after my post because I can slide this one up and down the center serving until I determine its final resting spot, and then pull hard on the tag ends to lock it down. I used to tie my nock sets in with half-hitches like John does (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that; I've seen some of the country's best tuners use that exact method), but this offers me more flexibility in moving the nock until I get it where I want it.

And thanks for the kind words; they are indeed appreciated. It's what makes doing a big thread like this worthwhile. Well, that... and all the money Justinpays me. [:-]

Quick Reply: How to tie in nocksets and a D-loop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.