Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting Issues

Old 05-07-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Sighting Issues

I have been reading on these forums for sometime now and decided to join. I just recently sold my 2005 Allegiance to get my new Guardian that i finally got today . Anyway back to what i had a question about. I went out to my target range in my back yard and started dialing things in. I got to 10 yards and got everything set in to where i was hitting the bullseye everytime and all my arrows were touching in a group. Then i backed up to 20 yards and used the same pin as i used at 10 yards and i was consistently shooting about 2 to 3 inches high. I never could figure what was going on. Could anyone give me some help on whats wrong and how i can fix it. Thanks

Josh

Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Sighting Issues

Do it just the opposite......Sight in at 20 yards, and see where you hit at 10.....I bet you're closer than that. I know why in my head, but I'm having a hard time explaining it.....Ok.....because you are so close, the arrow is still actually going up at 10 yards, so, when you back up to 20 you hit high.......Something like that....

Anyway, sight in at 20 and you'll be right on at 10...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Do it just the opposite......Sight in at 20 yards, and see where you hit at 10.....I bet you're closer than that. I know why in my head, but I'm having a hard time explaining it.....Ok.....because you are so close, the arrow is still actually going up at 10 yards, so, when you back up to 20 you hit high.......Something like that....

Anyway, sight in at 20 and you'll be right on at 10...
mobow,Actually its around 4 or 5 yards that the arrow reaches the sight plane. Anything under this and your arrow will hit low with a 20 yard pin. Try shooting from a couple yards and you will need to use about a 40 yard pin to hit where your aiming.

Anyway, back to the original problem, I would guess that something is wrong with the way the the arrow is set up. Maybe the rest is way high. Does the arrow look level when knocked and setting on the rest?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Yes the arrow looks level

Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing wrong at all. The arrow travels in an arc like any projectile. For my bow 4 yds is the same as 53 yds. When you sight in at 10 yds and then go to 20 the arrow will always be high.

It's a theory that used for French tuning. The faster the bow the lower the arc. If you sight it in at 20 you will be low at 10. Your 30 yd pin will probably be closer to the mark. 40 even closer.