Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How to tie string loop >

How to tie string loop

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to tie string loop

Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default How to tie string loop

I know it's been covered a bunch of times, and I searched forever trying to find it, but doea anyone have the link to a good visual picture of how to tie the string loop on?
Thanks
Dandbuck
And what's the key to making it closer to the arrow, mine is a bit too far away right now.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to tie string loop

http://www.huntontario.com/hunting/archery/article.jsp?content=20060329_130759_5240&page= 1

This shows the basic knots but to get the length you need you will want to experiment with material length, and I prefer to melt my second knot AFTER it's tied so that I can adjust the length as I go and really fine tune the loop size.
That's how I keep mine short.......I crank the heck out of the first knot to get it super tight around the melted ball, then I adjust pressure from the tag end of the second knot to bring the initial loop size way down before I finish it off.
The loop will stretch as the knots seat fully and the material settles so you will find a need to make them much smaller initially than you think you should.

It'll get ya started anyway!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Matt!
Just another HNI quick link, just what I need
Dandbuck
Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 PM

I would only like to add two things: Make sure you put a bunch of bowstring wax on the loop material before starting. It won't cinch up tight if you don't. And use a pair of long nose pliers to tighten up the knots instead of a screwdriver. You push the nose of the pliers through about 3/4 of the way and then pry the handles apart. For most string loop materials, starting with apiece about 5" long is about right.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of these is an even better way to go. It will stretch the D loop to it's final position. My pro shop uses one and my string has barely stretched at all since installation.

http://www.viperarcheryproducts.com/gear.html
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

The Viper loop pliers are awesome. I have been using the needle nose trick for years but regardless of how hard you pull the handles apart you simply can not get the loop as tight as you can with the viper pliers. Once you are done with them, that loop is about as stretched out as it will ever get.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

The loop pliers do look great. I just put a string loop on my wifes bow and it worked out real well. I guess I'll have to try the wax trick when i do my own. As far as stretching goes, it should do it fairly slow at 30#'s huh? I actually bought a set of 6 loops on ebay from a guy I was buying from anyway. They were precut and melted ends and fairly short too. I had all i could do to get the last loop in there and fit a phillips screwdriver in it. Had to actually wedge and tap it in. I do see how that pliers would make the last bit of tightening better though. Would not want that surprise of un raveling half way through your draw at a nice buck
Dandbuck