Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7mm-08 issues

Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 AM

Default 7mm-08 issues

I have a custom 7-08 with accuracy issues. It has a glass bedded Sako short action and 20 in Douglas Premium light weight free floated barrel in a Manlicher(sp?) stock. I have tried various 120gr and 140gr factory ammo including premium Winchester but 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds is typical. Shot 3deer with factory Win 140 grain ...folded up like a dishrag with a lung shot.
Neck sized reloads give 2-3 in groups. This is with Hornady 139 BT bullet, Speer 120, and 120 Nosler boatail w/ BLC-2 and 4064 powders. I temporarily settled on the 139 Hornady and 42 gr BLC2. First 3 deer dropped in their tracks with this load. Next 4 allwent 75 - 125 yards before going down. All shot thru the lungs. I decided I was not getting enough bullet expansion maybe due to low velocity.

This year changed to 120gr Nosler BT and 45gr BLC2. First deer shot thru the heart at 30 yds ran 100 yards into a swampjust at dark. Did not find him until the next day. I gave up on heart/lung shots and shot the next deerin the neck (facing me at 75 yds). It folded up. Found the Nosler bullet had blown up with pieces under the skin and in the tenderloin.

I usethe gunprimarily for deer hunting in the southeast USA. I need a load that will anchor a deer with a shot thru the lungs. It is sweet handling but I am not happy with the accuracy or killing power of the loads I have tried. I want to use reloads.

Ihave acustom .308 with a 19 in barrel that shoots1-1.5 inch groups and drops deer in their tracks...also same performance with a .270 Browning 22 inch barrel.

Any suggestions for this 7mm-08 would really be appreciated.

mark

Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm-08 issues

my savage in 708 prefers H414 Noslerballistic tip sub MOA
some times a gun will need pressure point to make it shot, its worth a try.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting deer thru the heart/lung area and expecting a "bang/flop" every time is highly unlikely. As you mentioned, some have dropped that way, and some have not. If you have retrieved your deer each time you have taken that shot and they have rin in the neighborhood of 100 yds. or less, I think the bullet has pretty much done it's job. Are you getting pass-thru hits? At the ranges you describe, I would expect it. Since I don't have my manuals in front of me at this time, how much load experimentation have you done with the combinations you mentioned? I personally shoot 140 gr. Accubonds in my 7-08 with 48 gr. IMR 4350 powder. Gives great accuracy. Had bang/flops, had to watch some run a little before they piled up. A lot of it depends on the state of mind or lack of that the deer was in at the time of the shot. I really feel too many people expect too much from their guns/loads when they want an immediate collapse each and every time. Just ain't gonna happen.
As far as your gun, have you checked the free-float of the barrel at different weather conditions? Sometimes it's hard enough to keep a regular sporter stock constantly floated let alone a Mannlicher. The accuracy or lack of it you describe borders on being unacceptable in my mind. I would definitely have the bedding checked by someone competent, and also take a look at possible barrel fouling. That piece should shoot much better than what you describe, I feel. I'm sure some of the other guys on here can offer other possibilities also. Your reloading operation/sizing/bullet seating may want to be discussed............
Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check the rifling rate of twist-it's possible that it'll like heavier/longer bullets.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would contact the gunsmith who built the rifle. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have an 06' Savage that gave me fits also . Wound up with a load that is bearly above the min loads . gives me just 2500 ft sec I've shot 3 mulies with text book performance . If your rifle is rifled for very heavy bullets the lighter bullets will have to be slowed down .
Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Shooting deer thru the heart/lung area and expecting a "bang/flop" every time is highly unlikely.
Ditto from my experience...
Old 11-17-2007, 09:50 AM

Maybe I have been spoiled and lucky by immediate kills so far with the .270 and .308.
Theaccuracy is very marginal. I have checked the free float (sliding a piece of paper between the stock and barrel) at the range. No problem with that but I will check again to reconfirm.
The action bedding in the glass was very tight when I checked it myself.
Re fouling, I would say there has been about 100 +/- rounds fired thru the barrel. Brushed about after each 20 rounds. Last time I went thru an elaborate clean, brush, soak, clean, repeat, repeat, etc. Seemed to remove some "stuff" but accuracy was not improved at all.
I am sizing the neck + about the top 1/4 of the case and seating the bullet just off the lands.
The barrel was ordered to have 1 in 10 in twist but I do not believe it has been checked (would this be marked on the barrel?). Did not see much difference in accuracy between the 120 gr (Speer and Nosler) vs 140(Hornady) gr bullets tried so far.
I will try the 140 Accubonds / 48 gr 4350. Also will try adding some pressure at the fore end although I wanted to avoid this as it takes away the whole point of free floating the barrel.

The BLC-2 /140 Hornady loads I was using are not much above 2500 fps at the muzzle. I don't care so much about velocity as long as I get quicker kills. Is there a bullet someone can recommend that will give good expansion at less than 2500 fps?

Thanks foreveryones comments.

mark

Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 AM

I think double checking the simple things first is a good idea.

Check the barrel 'free float' for pressure along with the action mounting screws.

Check the scope and mounting.

Check the muzzle crown for damage.

Make sure your bench rest technique is consistant with regards to how the rifle is rested.

The other advice you've recieved is excellent, but sometimes we over look the easy fix.

early
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've NEVER even heard of a 7mm08 being that inaccurate before.

Quick Reply: 7mm-08 issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.