Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Having issues

Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Spike

Default Having issues

I purchased a new bow over the winter. Darton Avalance Extreme 60-70, 29" draw. Had the sight( CopperJohn Deadnuts) and rest (NAP QuikTune 200) installed professionally. Shot some arrows in the shop and was hitting well enough within a dozen or less arrows. Now the problem--I have been shooting every other day or so, and the groups seem to be inconsistent. I will not blame the bow, it is me. I cannot get my pin to stay even the slightest bit steady on the target. Another issue is the "break point" or "valley" is so close to my anchor point. I think that one issue is that I'm concentrating too hard on keeping the bow at full draw and worrying that it will let down.
I should say that the bow is at 60lbs.
Questions
1. Will increasing the poundage help in "lenghtening" the valley? (I am very sure I can handle the extra weight)
2. Should I not worry about using a ringed target?
3. Is this target panic?
Mike
Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 AM

Default RE: Having issues

1. Increasing poundage will make the problem worse, it will not lengthen the valley. What MIGHT is increasing the letoff. Some bows have an adjustable letoff which is adjusted with a draw stop. Shortening the draw stop decreases the letoff, but also shortens the valley. Ask the pro shop to check what letoff your bow is set for and see if it can be increased.

2. You should use a ringed target, but for now, don't worry about the center ring Just concentrate on your form, not hitting the bullseye.

3. It doesn't sound like target panic, it does sound like your rushing yourself and expecting to hit the bullseye every time. Relax, concentrate on obtaining good form and executing each shot perfectly. The tight groups and bullseyes will follow.

For now, just practice by concentrating on drawing, anchoring and releasing. Don't wait for the pin to be on the bullseye. Your muscles will eventually strengthen and develop a memory of the procedure.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem with a Matthews fx when I first got it. I was ready to take it back to the shop. Seemed like at anchor any slight letup and it would fall off the shelf. After a few weeks of concentrating on holding tight at anchor the problem went away on its own. It also forced me to keep a tight anchor without letting me let off at all. So it can be a blessing in disguise. I would give it some time and your problem should go away.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your draw length could be too long if your fighting it like that.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

As usual, draw length is probably about two inches too long. Can't stay in the valley. Can't hold steady. These are typical signs.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I bought my bow the guy at the pro shop said instead of shooting at a ringed target. draw a marker line and aim for the top or the bottom. Some of us tend to go in circles due to the circular target. Then instead of concentric circles get some adhesive dots and aim at those. Aim small miss small!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

When I bought my bow the guy at the pro shop said instead of shooting at a ringed target. draw a marker line and aim for the top or the bottom. Some of us tend to go in circles due to the circular target. Then instead of concentric circles get some adhesive dots and aim at those. Aim small miss small!
Practice, practice and practice.... Archery is a learned artform... a type of dance.... You've got plenty of time till hunting season, just practice with it and like someone else said, your muscles will learn....

I dont like ring targets for the same reason as Dr. Andy... Use adheasive dots. Eventually your groups will get so small, you'll have to use a different dot for each shot... or that's the goal anyways, right???
My dad and I used to take old broken or bent arrows and stick them up in the ground in front of the target and take turns seeing who couldcrack the knock off of it first.

Sounds if your still grouping, just not consistantly at the same spot relative to point of aim.(Grouping consistantly in one place on monday, then another place on tuesday.)check your sights, peep, knock point, and rest, make sure they're solid. If they are then you it sounds like you are changing your anchorpoint day to day. I used to have this problem myself.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the help--
Ist order of business--back to the shop--shorten draw by at least 1", and increase the the let off. Will still practice, practice, practice.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Spike

Thanks for all those posting help. I haven't changed anything except the draw weight--upped it to over 65#--what a difference--so much more comfortable at full draw. Another thing I have done is to strenghten my arms. I have a desk job, so I have been using a 10# dumbell at different times during the day, and this has made a difference in that I am holding the pin much more steady at full draw. I have also been concentrating more and now have a longer "follow through" which has helped considerably.
For the first time since starting shooting this bow I can say--I love it.--will update.

Mike