Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Yes, another form thread. >

Yes, another form thread.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Yes, another form thread.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Yes, another form thread.

Now that I have the new bow, there are no excuses left and I may have to realize I am to blame for bad shooting.[8D]. So since it is the off-season, I have the time needed to change my form around. I am open to any comments and suggestions you guys have. And mods, if this belongs in the Tech forum, move it, you wont hurt my feelings.. Thanks for any input you may have.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yes, another form thread.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first thing that jumps out at me is the release is a MILE too long.You should be able to wrap your finger over the trigger without reaching for it.How in the world can you even reach it.Changing or shortening the release will help your shooting probably more than anything else at this point.

Second is the chin.Hold your head up and relax.You will have to move your peep but that will be beneficial.

1 more thing,relax the fingers.See how stiff they are.As a matter of fact,relax your whole body.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, do you think that the long release could have something to do with how I tend to punch the trigger? I am able to overcome the urge, but I still find my self doing it. I will work on the other things you mentioned tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

Thanks, do you think that the long release could have something to do with how I tend to punch the trigger? I am able to overcome the urge, but I still find my self doing it. I will work on the other things you mentioned tomorrow.
I would say yes.

If you're having to reach in order to squeeze the trigger you're more likely to punch it instead of squeeze.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no way to use any kind of squeezing or especially back tension with that release.Punching is another subject all in it's own buta new release definately won't hurt and most likely will help with it.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the release comment. The more reaching you have to do, the more movement your going to get out of your body/bow.

It is also hard to see from the picture, but I would make sure you have a GREAT anchor. Anchor in the same spot, the same way everytime. The biggest thing in archery is consistancy. Doing the exact same thing everytime all the time.

Some may argue this, but I truely believe that archery is:
5% equiptment
5% form
90% mental

That is basically what backtension is. Training your body & mindto do the exact same thing everytime. If one isn't there, your release shouldn't go off.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

I tend to stay away from "how's my form" threads because unless you have all the views needed, they can be a little misleading.

The best view is looking straight down on top of you at full draw. This can be done with a long mirror on an angle mounted above you and the camera looking up at the mirror behind you. Not the easiest to do, but IMO gives the most important form view. That view along with side and rear views can give an overall picture of what's going on.

Having said that, I will say that I don't ever like to see a drawing forearm that is angled below parallel with the arrow shaft. Either parallel with the arrow shaft or above seems to work well, but when your forearm is below the arrow shaft (like yours) it usually indicates the draw (or release) is set too long.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Agree with black frog.

But, the release is too long. It's a starting point.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: zubba
Some may argue this, but I truely believe that archery is:
5% equiptment
5% form
90% mental
You are almost 100% incorrect!!!!

More like this
85% form
10% mental
5% Equipment

Equipment had nothing to do with it. True, you need equipment that fits, but as long as you have a bow that fits, it doesnt really matter what you are shooting.
The mental game is an issue, but if you pratice your form, shooting should become second nature. The more and more that you practice with proper form, the more instinctive shooting will become. Hence, the less the mental game will have an effect on your shooting. So, for someone who practices their form alot, the mental game is not an issue.
Form is where it is all at. Bad form and you will never be a good shooter. The more the practice with proper form the better you will shoot. Form is the basis of archery. You can have the best mental game in the world, but if your form stinks, you will always stink. Think about it, you can be the worlds best golfer in your head, but if you cant swing a club, you cant score at all. This is the reason I say form is pretty much everything in archery. Lousy form=Lousy groups.
That said, here is my critique of your form, based on your photo and my coaching sessions. I should note, I am no expert, but after watching myself shoot on video and hearing what my coach has to say, I think I can offer up some advice.

1. Relax them fingers...tension in the hand will lead to torque once you hit the trigger on that release.
2. Hard to tell from the angle you gave us, but I think your left shoulder needs to drop down a little. You want a gap between that shoulder and the plane of the arrow.
3. Get your right elbow up a little more. This will allow you to use your backtension to release the trigger. Remember, it is your back muscles that should fire the trigger, not your finger. Place your finger on the trigger, the move your right elbow in towards your opposite shoulder. The trigger will fire, most likely when you dont expect it.
4. Pay attention to your follow through.

My advice...get a coach and work with him. I did, and my shooting form and accuracy had increased dramatically and I have only been working with him for a month and a half.

Quick Reply: Yes, another form thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.