Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Yes, another form thread. >

Yes, another form thread.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Yes, another form thread.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yes, another form thread.

i think i have to disagree with most of you as far as form goes (except zubba). personally, i believe that form is not as big of a factor in terms of accuracy. doing the same thing every time you shoot is what helps accuracy. this is where i think some people are mislead. consistency is the key. what is comfortable for one person may not be the best for the other. just make sure every shot is the same and you will be fine for form.

i however, agree the release is too long. also make sure not to drop your bow arm when you shoot.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

i believe that form is not as big of a factor in terms of accuracy. doing the same thing every time you shoot is what helps accuracy.
True to a point. But for *most* people, good form AIDS in being consistent. Sure, I've seen some people shoot lights-out with what I consider to be really poor form. But those are very few and far between.

Having good form allows the archer to be more repeatable (consisnent). And that consistency will in turn lead to being more accurate. But hey, if you can do the same thing the SAME way everytime- it won't matter if you shoot behind your back standing on one foot.

As I mentioned in my first post, the original poster's forearm is at slightly downward angle. That downward angle is the forearm/elbow/shoulder that is pulling on the string. And pulling at the rear of the arrow shaft. Any differences here from shot-to-shot are really going to show up downrange.

If the forearm were pulling straight back (or elbow slightly high), the likelyhood of doing it the same way everytime is greater than if the arm is down like it is. Sure it may be comfortable as is, but is it CONSISTENTLY repeatable? Possibly for a select few, but doubtful.

And I'll have to disagree with the post that said that the mental game is less important as you become an accomplished shooter. Once you are in big tournaments, it is CRUNCH time. Unbelievable pressure. If you don't have your mental game in order- all can be lost very quickly. Top archers are always working on their mental game. Ever watch a big shootoff at the top level? Every once and a while you'll see some major chokes. The mental game wasn't there. Ever been in a shoot-off for top honors with hundreds of people watching? It can be very humbling if you're not prepared mentally.

You could be the best archer in the world during practice. But when the HEAT IS ON, and it really counts for score, for cash, for big buck, whatever- that's when the mental game is *huge*. Many people tell me that they can shoot good scores in practice, but during a tournament they shoot lousy. That's alllll mental aspects of the game.It is a very large portion of what archery is.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Shootem up870

i think i have to disagree with most of you as far as form goes (except zubba). personally, i believe that form is not as big of a factor in terms of accuracy. doing the same thing every time you shoot is what helps accuracy. this is where i think some people are mislead. consistency is the key. what is comfortable for one person may not be the best for the other. just make sure every shot is the same and you will be fine for form.

i however, agree the release is too long. also make sure not to drop your bow arm when you shoot.
That is where form is the most important. You state that that being able to repeat what you do everytime is what makes you accurate. This is FORM! Using proper form, you use the muscle groups which are most likely to be able to consistently repeat an action. Bad form often means you are using muscle groups that are less likely to repeat, or memorize, an action. It al;so mightmean your muscles have memorized bad form. This is why you want you use back tension when you shoot. No back tension means that you will not be using the muscle groups that have the best "memory", hence, less consistency. It also means you will become fatigued much much faster.
Look at the whole trigger punching issue. The reason people punch the trigger is because they are not sure when it will go off. This is due to bad form and not having the proper back tension. Proper form, if practicedm will increase muscle memory, which equals consistency.
Think of it as a logic formula
If consistency=accuracy, and muscle memory=consistency, then consistency must equal muscle memory. The best muscle memory comes from proper form.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

i believe that form is not as big of a factor in terms of accuracy. doing the same thing every time you shoot is what helps accuracy. [/blockquote]
True to a point. But for *most* people, good form AIDS in being consistent. Sure, I've seen some people shoot lights-out with what I consider to be really poor form. But those are very few and far between.
Very well put IMO.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Without actually seeing you shoot, here is my view on it.

Your grip is wrong, and forced open. Your hand should be relaxed, just let your fingers fall on the riser naturally. Your grip is also too deep. Move it out to the pad of your thumb and rotate your hand so your bottom fingers come out away from the riser. Normally setting your grip so your fingers are at a 45 degree angle to the riser works well. I actually shoot with mine closer to 90 degrees.

Your are leaning your head in to the string. Your peep may be located wrong, or some other problem like draw length or improper anchor.

Your release hand is too far back, either too long of a draw length and/or too long of a release.

You are leaning back away from the bow, another indication of too long of a draw length or release. However sometimes it is just bad form.

It's hard to tell much else with that big thick shirt on.

You should be able to stand straight up with your head erect and draw the bow. Hips, torso and head should all be lined up. You should draw the bow to your anchor, not draw the bow and adjust your head to make it right. Hold your head up level and look at your target. Now close your eyes and draw the bow to your anchor without moving your head. Open your eyes, your peep should be lined up with your eye or really close. If it isn't something is wrong. Most people do not have thier peeps located properly though.

Everything should be comfortable to do and repeatable. If it isn't it should be changed.

If it makes you feel any better, your form is pretty typical of what I see and not horrible. I have seen MUCH worse!

Borrow someones hand held release and draw your bow string to your nose with your eyes closed (don't try and look thru the peep, that will mess you all up!). I think you will find it feels better. It will feel strange at first, but after a few times I bet it feels better.

You don't need to get a hand held release, but it will show what we are talking about when we say your release is too long.

Just my opinions anyway.

I didn't read all the posts, but I think I saw someone suggest a coach. I agree. If you want help with form, get a coach or a few lessons. Just like golf, it really helps to have someone watch you shoot to see what you do wrong or if you can repeat it from shot to shot.

Paul
Old 01-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the replys, I went out and got a new Scott Little Gooserelease today. I definately noticed how much easier to touch the trigger. I also adjusted my grip to holding the bow in the pad of my thumb, and my fingers curl back and barely touch the grip(I copied a grip I saw in one of TFOX's posts). I had my peep adjusted to help my head look more upright, so things are starting to look better. Thanks again for the help, now its time for the practice to begin.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:28 AM

i am very proud of you zdeer. you know when to listen.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well after today I dont know whether to thank you guys, or ask for $ [8D]. I got this robin hood at 20 yards on my 3rd shot. I think its time to shoot at a different spot now. And this means another trip to Gander to buy some more Gold Tips.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/IMG_1307.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/IMG_1308.jpg
Old 01-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Congrats on the robinhood!

Last time I shot groups I started tearing vanes off my arrows. Considering my FMJs are more expensive than my old GT's, I decided to start shooting seperate spots.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

Well after today I dont know whether to thank you guys, or ask for $ [8D]. I got this robin hood at 20 yards on my 3rd shot. I think its time to shoot at a different spot now. And this means another trip to Gander to buy some more Gold Tips.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/IMG_1307.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/IMG_1308.jpg
Z!! Great to see! That's why I love this place!!!

Quick Reply: Yes, another form thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.