Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Yes, another form thread. >

Yes, another form thread.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Yes, another form thread.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yes, another form thread.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

First thing I noticed in your pics is that you may be a touch long on draw length. Try shortening it a 1/2 inch. Your draw elbow looks to be angled slightly toward the floor. Not much, just a little. I can shoot an honest 28 1/2 off a string loop but feel more comfortable at 28.

As for form and accuracy. Talk to any good shooter, especially target shooters and they will tell you that consistant form is #1 to accuracy. The catch is the fact that you must find a combination of draw length, anchor and grip that is very comfortable to you. If you can find this, you will find it much easier to repeat this form. If something is out of whack, you'll notice it almost immediately because it just feels funny. A little trick to help you find this repeatable form is to stand at the line using a comfortable stance, head up and looking toward the target. Now close your eyes and draw the bow, settle in to your anchor.Open your eyes. Does everything just fall into place without you have to move anything? If not, you're probably not where you need to be. I can do this same thing, open my eyes and my peep is already aligned to my sight. It really helps, try it.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Black Frog

i believe that form is not as big of a factor in terms of accuracy. doing the same thing every time you shoot is what helps accuracy.
True to a point. But for *most* people, good form AIDS in being consistent. Sure, I've seen some people shoot lights-out with what I consider to be really poor form. But those are very few and far between.

Having good form allows the archer to be more repeatable (consisnent). And that consistency will in turn lead to being more accurate. But hey, if you can do the same thing the SAME way everytime- it won't matter if you shoot behind your back standing on one foot.

As I mentioned in my first post, the original poster's forearm is at slightly downward angle. That downward angle is the forearm/elbow/shoulder that is pulling on the string. And pulling at the rear of the arrow shaft. Any differences here from shot-to-shot are really going to show up downrange.

If the forearm were pulling straight back (or elbow slightly high), the likelyhood of doing it the same way everytime is greater than if the arm is down like it is. Sure it may be comfortable as is, but is it CONSISTENTLY repeatable? Possibly for a select few, but doubtful.

And I'll have to disagree with the post that said that the mental game is less important as you become an accomplished shooter. Once you are in big tournaments, it is CRUNCH time. Unbelievable pressure. If you don't have your mental game in order- all can be lost very quickly. Top archers are always working on their mental game. Ever watch a big shootoff at the top level? Every once and a while you'll see some major chokes. The mental game wasn't there. Ever been in a shoot-off for top honors with hundreds of people watching? It can be very humbling if you're not prepared mentally.

You could be the best archer in the world during practice. But when the HEAT IS ON, and it really counts for score, for cash, for big buck, whatever- that's when the mental game is *huge*. Many people tell me that they can shoot good scores in practice, but during a tournament they shoot lousy. That's alllll mental aspects of the game.It is a very large portion of what archery is.

This is one of the most accurate summaries I have read on here in a while.

I posted very much the same thing in the past but many think they can just practice there way into being a great shot.

No matter how much you practice with "bad form" you will only get to be so good,the little extra it takes to be great will take PERFECT practice and a mental game out of this world.Anyone wishing to achieve another level will almost have to have a coach.Even Tiger Woods has a coach.