HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Yes, another form thread.
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Campo

Default RE: Yes, another form thread.

ORIGINAL: zubba
Some may argue this, but I truely believe that archery is:
5% equiptment
5% form
90% mental
You are almost 100% incorrect!!!!

More like this
85% form
10% mental
5% Equipment

Equipment had nothing to do with it. True, you need equipment that fits, but as long as you have a bow that fits, it doesnt really matter what you are shooting.
The mental game is an issue, but if you pratice your form, shooting should become second nature. The more and more that you practice with proper form, the more instinctive shooting will become. Hence, the less the mental game will have an effect on your shooting. So, for someone who practices their form alot, the mental game is not an issue.
Form is where it is all at. Bad form and you will never be a good shooter. The more the practice with proper form the better you will shoot. Form is the basis of archery. You can have the best mental game in the world, but if your form stinks, you will always stink. Think about it, you can be the worlds best golfer in your head, but if you cant swing a club, you cant score at all. This is the reason I say form is pretty much everything in archery. Lousy form=Lousy groups.
That said, here is my critique of your form, based on your photo and my coaching sessions. I should note, I am no expert, but after watching myself shoot on video and hearing what my coach has to say, I think I can offer up some advice.

1. Relax them fingers...tension in the hand will lead to torque once you hit the trigger on that release.
2. Hard to tell from the angle you gave us, but I think your left shoulder needs to drop down a little. You want a gap between that shoulder and the plane of the arrow.
3. Get your right elbow up a little more. This will allow you to use your backtension to release the trigger. Remember, it is your back muscles that should fire the trigger, not your finger. Place your finger on the trigger, the move your right elbow in towards your opposite shoulder. The trigger will fire, most likely when you dont expect it.
4. Pay attention to your follow through.

My advice...get a coach and work with him. I did, and my shooting form and accuracy had increased dramatically and I have only been working with him for a month and a half.