Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
fletching type and style? >

fletching type and style?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching type and style?

Old 11-29-2002, 09:33 PM

Default fletching type and style?

I currently shoot 30.5" Ics hunters 400 with four straight 4" vanes. I shoot them out of my 29" matthews Q2 with 70 lbs draw. During the off season I shoot perfect w/ field points but with the broadheads I experience accuracy problems which comes from planning arrows. I shoot innerloc 3 blade 100 grain tips. I may be switching to GoldTip XT's 7595's though . But either way I need advice on whether to use offset or helical and to what degree and direction. Whenever I shoot in the wind or at any distance over 35 yards I notice my arrow starts planning and with the wind it gets knocked WAY! off course. So advice on vane length, style and degree would be much appreciated.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:39 PM

Default RE: fletching type and style?

My assumption would be the swithing to xt 75/95 goldtips is the best decision. Then on the fletching 4 fletch arrows are great for short distances, under 30! If you are planning to shooting in open areas with lots of cross winds i would go to helical fletches right or left is dosnt matter. The helical fletch will stablize the arrow more in cross winds than straight offset fletching, but also slows the arrow speed down also. My own experince would be in windy conditions use right helical 3 fletchings. If you hunt in close courters with hardly any crosswinds i would go with straight offset of 3 degress 3 fletching. 3 fletching seems to fly better than 4 fletching! There again strong crosswinds i would use 5 inch helical. calmer conditions 4 inch straight offset. Its better to use an over splined arrow hunting than a under splined arrow, better arrow flight with broadheads. hope this helps. jason
Old 11-30-2002, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan on staying with Bemans I'd step up to the 340's. You're pretty much on the edge of the spine for 70lbs. Also consider going to 4" feathrs set on a helical, or vanes if you prefer, but I like feathers and braodheads. Feathers increase your FOC and will aid accuracy. If you shoot a prong rest you might want to shoot straight/offset although I can't say what degree to set them. One thing is for sure. The problem is not with the broadheads. Straight fletching just will not stabilize and arrow with blades on the front.

Old 11-30-2002, 09:51 AM

A good combo I have found with the ICS shafts is to use a 4" duravane or AAE & offset it between 4 - 6 degrees. Also 4" feathers will give a little bit more stabilization.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with BGfisher and Moonge on both posts. I feel that running a 30.5" 400@70lbs to be a little much when you are trying to steer a broadhead, I'd say throw a helical on them and see if that helps stabilize things, if not then change up to the 340's. I run ICSCH400's at 28" shaft length out of my 29" drawlength setup (Bodoodle Pro 500 set back some) with 4" Duravanes or AAE's with a pretty tight helical to stabilize my Wasp Hammer SST fixed blades better. They fly like they were on a rail out of my setup at 64-65lbs. (this year I've harvested deer, turkey, and earlier a woodchuck that was raiding my garden) They work great and are very accurate, and IMHO there is no need for goldtips or any other carbon on the market if you can get these to fly with the right combination. Just my own thoughts, Pinwheel 12