Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadheads that fly like field points? >

Broadheads that fly like field points?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads that fly like field points?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:30 AM

Default RE: Broadheads that fly like field points?

While granted out of a perfectly tuned bow all (or most) broadheads will fly better and group much closer, it would seem it would be impossible to group all 100 gr. broadheads in the same spot out of a well tuned bow.
In my opinion, the difference in drag between broadheads, at 20 yards would be not be easily measured. Pay close attention to Len's Trilogy. I'd put a lot more emphasis on tuning the arrow if you want to see results like what we're talking about. However, all three are important. The only reason a properly aligned broadhead will plane more than another, is because the setup is not tuned correctly to shoot it.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Roskoe, I see you're from Colorado. So I would suggest you stay away from mechanicals because you are likely to be hunting larger critters like elk. I personally don't think they work well on bigger animals. (I used to use NAP Spitfire's). The therory is that the energy needed at impact to open the blades greatly reduces the penetration.

I am of the school that believes a well tuned bow . . . . etc, etc. However, I have never been able to do it! SO . . . every season I have to move my rest slightly from my foeld point setting to my field point setting.
I did switch to the two blade Magnus and was very satisfied. Very close to field points! I have heard the Crimson Talon's with their "Spin-Tite Airfoil Technologyâ„¢" shoot dead on with field points. I will try some this season.

Otherwise, scratch your head and re-adjust your bow every year.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

The Tuning Trilogy: Tune the bow, tune the arrow, tune the archer.

Right away I see you have the bow "like I said it was pretty well tuned."

Some are willing to take the time to do it right and others short cut and resolve to only being able to shoot mechanicals and some fixed broadheads.

Got to go to work now.
Well said Len
Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Spike

Slick tricks all the way..............
Old 01-10-2007, 09:34 PM

I got the slicks in the mail yesterday. You all make me wanna go out right now and KILL/HARVEST something!!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Len to a point , that being some bows just wont tune , especialy those with a cabel rod that sits far from the string
Old 01-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot expandables, fixed blades, and field points all with the same accuracy. The only thing that I noticed is the fixed blades are affected some by strong windy conditions espicially beyond 20 yards.