Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning guestion

Old 01-07-2007, 03:29 PM

Default tuning guestion

i have a hoyt ultramag i did a serving on it and took it to the proshop and had them put a nock and string loop on it. after that i had them turn the bow up to 70 pounds. i dont think he put it in the right spot. before the arrow sagged down a bit and know it is pointed up how do i know were the nock should be. would turning up the poundage move the nock. should the arrow be perfectly level, also he did not paper tune it. also the arrow hits about a foot ar more high.

thanks for any help

drhoyt
Old 01-07-2007, 04:21 PM

Default RE: tuning guestion

I'm sure you'll get better answers from others that would know more than I would, but I just recently went to a string loop and did it all my self. From all the reading I did and question asking, it seems that a good place to start is about 1/8" above center. (By above center, they mean the center of the hole that your arrow rest screws into.) This is where the nock should be placed. So, to look at it, the nock would look almost level. Paper tuning it also, I think would have been an appropriate thing for a Pro shop to do. This would help to "FINE TUNE" your nocking point.

Do I have this pretty close guys??
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Turning up the limbs should not change loop position unless they were not turned equally.

I would suggest resetting yourloop position so the arrow is at a 90 degree angle on the string and remove the nock ...you don't need it.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to get a bow square and see where your nocking point is. This is just one of many reason's I do all work myself. Too many incompetent shops out there. Len, you ever think about starting a chain of Pro Shops? I'm not saying thats the case, but all too often it is.

You're arrow should be level to start. Usually, I start at 3/16" above square to put my nockin point. Then shoot it through paper to see what kind of vertical tear you get, if any. Make adjustments from there.